Saturday, April 12, 2008

spring has sprung

My little prairie city is managed by strange weather gods.

A week ago it snowed.
Today, it was plus twenty degrees Celsius.

With the sun out and about, I wrote and read outside -- usually a rare event in April for my province. I'm not usually home long enough to see them, but I finally got to meet the two small hares that I know frequent my yard.

It's a small miracle, considering I live smack dab in the middle of the city.












As the evening progressed and the sunlight deepened into twilight, I grabbed my camera and visited one of my favorite haunts today.

People sometimes tire of our flatlands, but we have a secret gift that only comes out when the sun rises and sets ... the canvas of our sky.











When I need to
I look to the skies
and I am reassured
all is
as it should be


Blessings upon your week, friends.

9 comments:

A. Stageman said...

Beautiful photographs :D

human being said...

Hi honour!
the moment i opened the door to your blog, my soul started hopping around ... playing with the rabbit and finger-painting with the colors of your pics and words...

now i'm here... a painted crow...hopping cheerfuly in your spring ...my full-bloom spring says hello to yours...

and while crows walk around...
(do they walk? they really hop in a way... in our folk tales they have always been sneered at for the way they walk!)
...they gather some sparklies... your little red poem was a jem...

"When I need to
I look to the skies
and I am reassured
all is
as it should be"

and I am
where I
should be.

love... hugs... and kisses.

michael.offworld said...

Such a sky. Thanks for finding my blog and leading me to yours. I'll be reading.

M

jennifer newkirk said...

Hey Roxanne,
Today you expressed just what I experienced in my California mountain backyard... unexpected warmth and sunshine, glorious indeed, to sit in the sun and read.
Thanks for the connection...
Jen

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful skies!
So sorry not to have got back to you sooner but I am a bit jet -lagged and the little house in Marrakech - where we arrived back last night - is in need of lots of TLC.
So glad you enjoyed Marrakech and my blog.
There will be lots more new pictures soon.
All best wishes.
Glad you like Essouira.
It is my idea of heaven

Anonymous said...

Nice...

Bunnies
Golden
Amber
Ultimate cobalt

Warm...

I feel it

Flat
Or Not
Soooner or later
Land meets sky

From their love
The canvas is made
Sunlight pallet
Fills
Dances
Fades
Whispers
And then
Stars…
So subtle
You don’t always realize
That you are a part of it all

But you feel it
Always

Always

Nice post Honour

Spring
like the sunset -
each one is unique
As are you and I
Yet I can see
There is a connection here

I will talk to the river, she knows your sky.

Roxanne said...

Thanks for all of your comments friends ... And welcome Elizabeth and Michael! Indeed, Elizabeth, Essouria is heaven.

Human Being - our fading spring (it's going to snow this weekend) still appreciates the greetings from your full-blown spring! I like your addition to my poem ...

And Bobbb ... your words bring peace to me :) please give my regards to the river ... it's good to stay connected whichever way we can ...

Anonymous said...

The river was brooding and moody
Impatient for spring -

And swolen with the rain and snow melt

She was terse with me, at first
Displeased perhaps, for my being so long away

There were no birds

I asked the river "where are your birds?"

She was quick to remind me the the birds do not belong to her

"They go as they please - and though it is quite warm today, they choose to avoid this wind and crowd the bush and backwaters"

Then she softened as she felt it in my heart even as she spoke...

"Of course there are never as many birds as there used to be..."

Somthing I am painfully aware of.

Usually I go to the river to meditate - and I take comfort and healing from her

But sometimes it's the other way around

So I mentioned you
And your big sky
And your words, chosen with care...

And we grew warm together in the sun

And she forgave me

Lynn Cohen said...

Wonderful sunset. Wonder if I could transpose that onto fabric?
Adorable rabbit hopping by to say hello as well.
Enjoying your writings...poetry and prose.
Pondering consciousness' sub and un!
;-)
Thanks for your lovely words on my blog today too. Much appreciated they are.