Sunday, April 20, 2008

April Storms

My knuckles are tired.

For four hours, I gripped my steering wheel as an unexpected snowstorm battered the highway on a recent road trip.

Usually, my prairie landscapes are beautiful. The horizon stretches until all you see is a hazy line of blue and green curving in the distance, and I’m sure I see – not just know – that the world is round.

But when the snow descends and the wind arrives, the pair are relentless. Suddenly, in the middle of the day, headlights are a necessity. Even when the snow stops, the gales recycles the drifts, blowing them across the road like wisps of memories. Whirling them up to confront you in fury.

In the ocean of white, I could only see the road ahead of me for a couple of meters. And, sometimes even that disappeared. So, I relied on the grey volkswagon in front of me which appeared and reappeared in the hazy clouds ahead.

It’s frightening to drive with no sense of direction … I had to physically restrain myself from stopping. But, even if the snow didn’t erase all remembrance of shoulders on the road, I knew someone was following me, the way I followed the volkswagon. I dared not stop.

I kept the foot to the pedal on faith. Hoping that the car ahead of me knew where it was going and that we were all being led to the same place. Trying to ignore the abandoned vehicles in the ditches on the side of the road, knowing they had likely relied on faith too.

Sometimes, for half a minute, the winds would stop and all was calm. I could see ahead for kilometers. And, then the eerie realization dawned on me. It wasn’t just me, the volkswagon ahead, and the car behind trying to make our way --- but a whole caravan of travellers, filling the roads as unseen companions.

Then the winds came back and all was white again.

Spring blizzards.

By the end, I feel it’s my landscape that has been scourged by the storm.

In those tense moments, I apologized for all the injuries I incurred. I forgave all the hurts that came my way. And all I have left is love and gratitude for … this.

Storms are good for that.
But, I’m still exhausted.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow!
Beautifully written
The idea of a spring blizzard seems very distant here.
Greetings from Marrakech.

michael.offworld said...

This was so much better than complaining about the weather.

I know what you mean by curve of the earth. I've seen that too. Under a mountain of cloud that was resting on a thin line of orange sunset fire. Too vast to photograph.

M

Lynn Cohen said...

Your wonderful words paint a picture and bring back memories of last winters trek through the Wyoming Mountians where we too rode for a long while in a White Out condition...no road seen, thanked God for a big truck to follow and we too prayed he could see above what we could not see...it was scary and I understand your using the time to ask and give forgiveness, as one doesn't know at a time like that if one will even reach their destination. I'm glad you/we did.

sukipoet said...

Scarry to drive without being able to see. I have had that happen in dense fog. You depict it all so beautifully. Glad you made it home safely.

Anonymous said...

That was well written. To me, the caravan of cars in front and behind you symbolized hope, while the cars that sat silently on the side symbolized despair. And while the scenery was graceful in vision, it was dangerous in practicality.

human being said...

a very beautiful and strong account of what could be regarded a routine event... but you gave it new dimensions...
I saw it as life... the way we go forward sometimes without even knowing what is in front of us...

liked the clandestine samurai's interpretation very much...

sukipoet said...

Honor, thanks for the dream interpretations for house, a journey etc. Interesting. I left a comment on my blog so won't repeat here but I appreciate your looking these symbols up. I had quite a few dream books at one time and often found their suggestions stimulating and helpful in interpreting my dreams. Peaceful dreams, Suki

Roxanne said...

lynn and suki - i think we've all survived a storm like that ... the trick is to not slip back into day-to-day life so easily (at least for me)

human being - i also like clandestine's interpretation - so thanks for sharing samurai!

i know what you mean michael - photos just don't do justice to the albertan skies, do they?

and thanks for dropping by, ellizabeth. even when i see your icon (the tea) - i just start to hear the streets of marrakesh in my head...