They had experienced loss.
With only one suitcase of clothes, they had arrived in Canada, survivors of oppression for being part of an ethnic minority under Saddam’s rule in Iraq. They carried samples of spices that hinted of their homeland and left behind a mother, who lamented their pursuit of writing, the cause of their parting. His three years of prison, for the crime of writing poetry, was one of the reasons they decided to finally flee.
But they had their children. And they had each other.
Ten years later, a new language on their lips and a new home in their hearts, I am privileged to know them. They are committed people – to their community, to their writing, and to one another. They are older now, in their mid-fifties, their children integrated into Canadian life.
Is it because English is still new to them that their words ring with honesty?
“Did your husband tell you I saw him yesterday?” I asked the wife. “No, no.” She looked up at me, reaching to place one hand gently on my cheek. “He did not tell me he saw your beautiful face. I did not even talk to him yesterday.” Her r’s roll in a deep rhythm. “We are so in love you see. People in love don’t need to talk to each other every day.”
I nod with a genuine smile, accepting their expression of romantic love that goes against contemporary portrayals.
I describe how her husband spoke to my writing class the other night about poetry.
The short cropped curls around her face bob up and down in enthusiasm. “Oh, I’m so glad. His poetry is very powerful, very beautiful. He is a deep thinker and a good man, my husband.”
My heart grew lighter. I knew this couple dealt with the regular stressors of most families. Too much work, not enough time. She wished she could see her kids more often. She wished she had more time to write. They struggled with sustaining a livelihood, their family and their art. But, always the same words of love and admiration come from her lips, and just as often, from his in return.
No eye rolling, no complaining, no resentment.
Their words are uttered in the midst of the lunchroom, by the filing cabinet, sometimes even in the hallway. But, I am amazed at their power to create hope in me. They are simple words. They only seek to share their life as it really is.
But, the words are a testimony that lives can be fashioned to match our values, and not the other way around.
The words they choose – in every day conversation – make a difference in my life.
And it reminds me – the words I choose everyday – can make a difference in others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
my apologies folks ... new at this blogging thing - for those of you who left comments earlier - much appreciated ... but then I had to delete the whole post and repost, and lost all of the comments. sorry ...
Yes the words you choose can make a difference
Choose wisely
Choose well
The words you leave behind
Tell the story of who you are
Should I hear them in the dark
I will listen
I like your friends already
"Is it because English is still new to them that their words ring with honesty?"
Yes, I believe that is so
For I can remember other times I have been confronted by such simple awesome everyday truth
In words spoken in just such a way
Thought about, and then...
Chosen
Very interesting... I must read more.
I open the door...
a beautiful garden...
beautiful trees and flowers...
no! a garden is not just the trees or flowers...
the birds nesting in the branches...
the butterflies flying over the flowers...
and even the wind
dancing through winding paths ...
are the garden...
That was the feeling I had when reading your post...
So beautiful...so human...all the words smelled of love...
Hugs.
the words you choose DO make a difference in others... some say that words are meaningless... that it is only our actions we are responsible for... i believe that our words have the capacity to help or harm the places that cannot be helped or harmed physically and that these places are the most important...
nice post...
p.s. wondering if you'd like to participate in a poetry game i'm setting up for tomorrow???
thanks for all of your comments, and welcome bobb and doc !
how lucky am I that two of you leave poetry in return ... more seeds to be sown in this circle of words ...
HB - thanks for the highest of compliments ...
and yes, hopper, the power of words really can't be underestimated ... easy to forget in everyday conversation ... and email too! ... of course, i'd love to play the word game ...
I have come
In my life
To a place
Where pretty much
Everything
I write
Think
or say
Is poetry
In some way
Only it's not always so pretty
And sometimes
It scares me
Just a little
But it's honest
And free
For now I choose the words
They no longer
Choose me
Post a Comment