I can breathe again.
For the last six weeks, I’ve been suffering from a flu virus that alternately bestowed symptoms of coughing, low grade fever, stuffed sinuses, (repeat, repeat, repeat, etc.).
At first, I thought I was suffering from burnout. Then, I wondered if eating well and exercising was a myth. This was followed by a suspicion that something was wrong with my immune system.
Yesterday, I was told this year’s flu lasts four to six weeks. A sigh of relief. I’m not a wimp.
In the finale, I spent the last five days at home sick. Today is the first day I can breathe. More importantly, I can laugh without breaking into a fit of coughing. That’s what I missed most – laughing.
I embraced it all, when I was sick ... all modes of healing and all faith belief systems.
I’d switch from Buckley’s cough syrup to fresh ginger, from Sinutab to accupresssure. Sometimes, I’d have faith in the body’s natural defense systems and do nothing at all – let the fever run, I’d say. Boil those viral bugs! Made appointments with my doctor. Booked some time with my acupuncturist.
I started off with meditation – embracing the pain and suffering, realizing how lucky I’ve been to be healthy, when I was healthy. After a while, I went to the Judeo tradition and started bargaining with God. “Come on,” I’d say. “Next month, I promise to kickbox twice a week and no more junk food. Just get me out of this hell.”
Back to my Catholic roots, I comforted myself by thinking if I died, I’d get resurrected anyway. And, if that didn't work, I supposed reincarnation was an option, since I’m nowhere near Nirvana.
In the end, it was a combination of everything that got me through the last six weeks. I’ve always believed that there is no one set of rules, no one correct spirituality. When all is dark – you just have to believe. It’s the faith that matters.
… and maybe eating lots of garlic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
O Honour!
You are one of those sparkly things crows never miss to steal!
Very very amazing post... I loved the interwoven insight and humor...
That bargaining part...hilarious!
You've got such a magical pen!
And think we should write this sentence in gold:
When all is dark – you just have to believe. It’s the faith that matters.
A big big caaaaaw from the crow!
Your crow poem "the exchange" was a gem... I read it several times rejoicing in the choice of words, sounds and ideas... Splendid!
I've also written something there for you.
Namaste!
Forgot to tell how much I loved your line in the chain poem ... very insightful indeed... also that beautiful work on the sounds...
In addition, I appreciate your role in linking and knitting the lines to each other...
Looking forward to another shared task to learn more from you dear friends.
Hugs.
dearest human being - your words are like a warm embrace from an old friend across the miles... so glad your blogworld has crossed my path ... truly a gift ... many thanks.
yes garlic!
Love this post. Yes, I have been there and you describe the whole illness/flu flow so well. Once I thought I was actually dying and as I live alone I called a friend to tell them to check in a few days to see if I was alive. And they said, it's the flu.
One thing I did whilst recuperating by lying on the couch in a fever and pain was just to watch the pain. A sort of meditation. The pain that seemed solid, was not. It changed from hour to hour. This is what got me through, observing the changes, knowing it was not solid. Also, listening to recordings of James Herriot's stories. Be well, you are inspiring. Suki
Post a Comment