Friday, April 25, 2008

New Rules

When I was younger, I believed in saving the best for last.

Like pies.
I’d eat the filling first and leave the crust.

Partially, this decision was influenced by a lesson taught to me early in my household ... never, ever were we to waste food.

But, I also had superstitions around it. Even if I was too full to truly enjoy it, I wanted the last taste lingering in my mouth to be the buttery, crumbling pastry. Or the sweet pieces of mango I saved from the fruit salad. Or the outside layers of my ice cream sandwich.

As if the joy it bestowed would last a little longer that way.

The other day, I ordered a butter pecan square.

I specifically requested the corner piece. Its edges were burnt a little and I knew it would be crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Perfect.

But this time, I decided to eat all of my favorite parts and throw away the rest.

Life’s too short to be inconvenienced by what you never wanted in the first place.

7 comments:

human being said...

Oooops!
The comment is gone!
:(
loved this post....
i'll be back soon to write again...

Anonymous said...

That's cool... it's like using your "good" silverware, or wearing the "special occasion" dress on any normal day. Beacause you can. Because you deserve to...

human being said...

Great reflections on seemingly simple incidents of life... you are a real mystic...

The same rule when i was a kid... Is it changed? Let me see...
...sometimes choosing just the unwanted parts!
...at times nothing at all!
...on some occasions something totally different!
...and lots of time the mango!
I really love mangos!
:)
Really enjoyed reading this post...

A. Stageman said...

Ah! I used to do that too!

I thought I was the only one....haha.

Anonymous said...

So agree, so many times we think if we save the best for last it will last. But the best should be used first! Great metaphor for life!

Roxanne said...

Tania - you got it exactly :)

Human Being - is that what a mystic is? really? taking everyday incidents and reflecting on them? and here I just suspected I thought too much! ha ha. I think it's very wise to just try different things and experience a new experience.

A. -- yes, I think you and I have lots in common ...

Danielle - glad to see you drop by. I hope you come by again and look forward to reading your blog

Lynn Cohen said...

I love this...just eat the best parts, leave the rest. It's not waste it's expediancy. It makes sense.

Wondering what your new business is about?

Thanks for coming to my blog today and leaving such beautiful meaningful and helpful words.