Tuesday, April 8, 2008

the exchange

I have no seeds to spare,
I gently told the crow,
You flew into my realm
sowing stories upon the wind
weaving color into my day

though I have little of value
to offer in exchange

For I have no seeds to spare,
my hands are rough with work,
but I can guide you where
a spring runs fresh and
bursts forth in words and grace

though it’s not mine to share
nor to give, just to show

I have no seeds to spare,
my back is bent from toiling,
but I can lead you to a meadow
where I’ve found certainty
that there is greater and there is good

though this trail can be tangled
and rough to travel

I have no seeds to spare,
I whispered to the crow,
and offer endless skies
for you to soar and find your way
and collect more tales to tell

though only with my heart’s wish
that you’ll return to me

before the harvest comes to pass
when I’ll have seeds to spare

6 comments:

A. Stageman said...

I, very much, like the strong connection with nature in this poem.

I also like that you chose a crow...in so many cases, crows are used to represent bad luck. It's very refreshing to see the crow used as a storyteller.

Anonymous said...

I love the simplicity of this
And yes
The connection to the earth

Planting
The promise of spring
Of youth

The future right there
In your hands

I know the crow
He is big magic for me

Many species can learn
Some better than others

But not many can be credited with having the drive to learn new behavior
And then teach it

Only humans in fact
And of course, the crow...


Do not worry
You will meet him again

Look for him

Jon said...

this is the most beautiful poem you've shared... it is alive with feeling and emotion... it flows all in its own way... I am very impressed with this piece

Roxanne said...

Thanks for all of your comments. How interesting ... I was hesitant to post it, 'cuz I thought it was too simple. I guess it's a lesson for me - the most simple, heartfelt words are the best. Lady A - you would love this book I read (that is, if you like the YA genre, which I do) - but it delves into the life of a crow flock, by Clem Martini, "Feather and Bone: The Crow Chronicles". Crows use tools, are loyal, mate for life ... incredible animals.
Bobb - your words of hope are touching. Hopper - as ever, thanks for your encouragement

human being said...

When crows come to you
They just wish to fly
in the eternity
of your eyes --
A constellation of
virtuous seeds
of
love...


From 'The Unindifferent Crow' to Honour with love and respect...

sukipoet said...

Honor this is a beautiful poems. I love the images, the tone, the repetition. You have many seeds to sow. Are sowing. Blessings, Suki