Sunday, July 6, 2008

Send/Receive

It's easy enough to click on the Send/Receive button in our Inbox. But, receiving is an undertaking that requires more than one would think.

My last month of work has been insightful in many ways. In order to get all my tasks completed, I've worked weekends this past month, often till eight pm on many nights. It was a reminder of how I really do need time for my own creativity in order to feel balanced.

I've also been the recipient of many gifts. Co-workers and members of my team have demonstrated their generosity in ways I could not imagine. Employees of non-profit agencies do not make the kind of salary their counterparts working for government make. And yet, in our agency, I have never known people as the ones in our agency who take the time to celebrate each other's accomplishments with shared meals and small tokens of appreciation.



The gifts I received were so personal, relevant to who I really am. There were books about writing, scarves from Somalia, home-made chocolate, a collection of speeches from Bishop Cesar Romero (The Violence of Love), a journal featuring the words of Rumi. On my last day of work, Maria walked into my office with a leaf-shaped platter laden with candies and cherries. She placed it on my table, saying "It's your last day of work. You'll have lots of visitors to your office. I thought you should have some treats to entertain them with. But, make sure you bring home the plate."




One co-worker framed an art-card of a chinese character of a quality that she thought I embodied. Strangely enough, though she has never read my blog (until now), she chose "Honour".





When I first started at the agency, I was overwhelmed by the complexity of this work with refugees and immigrants. Whether it was helping newcomers find housing, supporting families adjust to the school system, making newcomer youth feel like they were included or providing a space for the stories of those who suffered in wars -- my co-workers undertook it with passion and compassion. I was brought in to be a manager, but what could I possibly provide to these individuals who knew these people and their lives with an intimacy that takes years to develop?

Quickly, I decided my goal would be a simple one. When someone walked into my office -- client or staff member -- they should felt listened to.

Was that going to change the world? Likely no.
Was that going to change that person's life? Probably not.

I didn't have any strategic plans or a vision.

I simply believed people are given one moment - the present moment - to offer and receive. And that was one small way I could offer dignity and respect.

So, when the gifts started to turn up in my office, I realized it was my turn to receive. Not just to receive these thoughtfully chosen presents, but to receive my colleagues' hopes for my success in making time for writing.

Everytime I see these items, I will not only be reminded of them and their hard work and courage, but of how they bid me farewell with faith in my journey. Their gifts will remind me to remain true to myself.

Yes, these gifts come with a responsibility. A responsibility to make good use of their faith. But, it is a responsibility that I am grateful they have chosen to bestow.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've left a few jobs in my time and it always amazes me the thoughtfulness that had gone into the words and gifts that i had received upon leaving. i think that we are often more inclined to give thanks and our gratitude to others at times of an "end" - funerals, job changes, any general goodbye parties...your post has reminded me that i need to make this effort at appreciation more frequently, so that people know they're wonderful now...because later might just be too late.
congrats! i'm sure you will be very much missed by both your staff and clients.

sukipoet said...

Honor, these are lovely gifts, honoring the you you are and the you you hope to become. what lovely people you worked with. so kind and thoughful and caring. As are you. It sounds like an interesting though stressful job. Good luck in your new work ahead. Blessings, Suki

I am thinking of you on your week away and hoping you are resting and being to transit into the new you.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

In my office we have a couple of standing Traditions That Must Be Followed (not capital letters) - on your birthday you must bring in cakes for everyone, on your last day with the company you must do the same, everyone will have a whip-round and buy you a present (or on some occasions, everyone will be roundly whipped UNTIL they buy you a present - joke)

At lunch you then take everyone for liquid refreshment to The Hungry Horse pub, a local dive. You come back, your boss says how great you were, you make a speech and leave.

However, there have been so many leavers recently that the last one sneaked out with barely a mention.

Your gifts sound so much more personal and thoughtful than our standard procedure gifts - i hope you will treasure them

Adam and Emilie said...

Hey you...It sounds liks a lovely departure. It feels oddly liberating and deeply saddening to be leaving, all at once, doesn't it? At least that is how it felt for me.
Congratulations on following your current dream. It is for certain that many will miss you!
I can't wait until our paths cross again.

Anonymous said...

Hi --
I just had an epiphany.
I think the Hounour symbol should be your logo. It represents you and what you stand for, and, from a graphic standpoint, looks a bit like a person (because it's all about people, really), and at the same time, a bee or butterfly pollinating a plant (which is what you'll be doing by spreading your words and wisdom).
Delilah Rose

Lydia said...

Such a beautifully expressed post, Honour. I really studied the photos of the gifts you received because they told me more about you, and also of the people with whom you shared your work these past years. The honour gift is truly a special thing...

human being said...

wow
this post brims with emotions and wisdom...
gifts making us more responsible... you're right...
hope more people become aware of this fact...
we are loaded with gifts so...

think Delilah has got a great idea regarding the logo...

sukipoet said...

Honor, I have an award waiting for you on my blog. Be well, suki

Quiche said...

You are such a nifty soul! Honored to know you, Honour! Much love to you and infinite blessings!

Anne-Marie said...

Honour, these gifts say a lot about the people who have given them to you. And a lot about you, too. Your co-workers obviously have a great deal of respect and affection for you.

Rangimarie,
Anne-Marie

Jon said...

so now you're out of the woods... I've got a feeling that the next little while will be very insightful for you... keep your eye on that dream!!! I've got all the confidence in you... just like that one story about the perfume... I knew you'd succeed then and I know you'll succeed now...

JON

Anonymous said...

There is a look
I am sure
That you and your coworkers
Would sometimes share

Not for profit people
Often rise to a higher purpose
Have a different priority
Than most people

Sometimes this is
Because they can be confronted by those
Who are facing the Abyss

It oft goes unsaid
I know

There is no great need to talk about it

How many times have you come home
And thought to yourself
Thank God I went to work today?

More than once I’d bet.

So now you’re leaving
And what was unsaid
(But for those knowing glances)
Now expresses itself
In the form of thoughtfulness
And gifts

Responsibility?
You bet
But you knew that already

It is not
For nothing
That they believe in you

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite the momentous exchange. That was nice of them to bring you gifts and hope for the future. I wish I was leaving my job. Gotta apply consistently =(

May the Lord guide you.

Roxanne said...

Akula - that's exactly the thought that crossed my mind. Our team had a lovely potluck where we brought food and shared a meal -- and I thought to myself, "too bad we waited until we were leaving to celebrate" ... It's made me more thoughtful these past weeks about making more time for people in my lives.

Suki - thank you for your warm wishes and thoughts ... it is indeed an exciting journey!

DFTP - yes, I was so touched by the personal gifts as well. But traditions are nice too :)

Emilie dear - you sure captured it nicely sister. liberating and saddening. who knew? of course we'll cross paths again soon. do you want to come meet me in Laos too - I'm going to go visit Wendy.

Delilah - creative as ever! and what are we going to do with all that creativity for you??

Lydia - thanks ... yes the honour gift was amazing. it gave me chills. Not that I'm ever brave enough to subject myself to a tattoo ... but IF i was to get a tattoo, that is the the closest thing that I can imagine wanting for the rest of my life

HB - yes. we are loaded with gifts every day. it's just recognizing them! I hope you are well ....

Roxanne said...

Quiche - how have you been? ah nifty - i like that word even better than quirky! blessings to you in return

Anne-Marie - yes, these gifts remind me of what a gift it was to work with these people :)

Hopper - insight central indeed! ah yes, and it is remembering that success doesn't always look as we imagine ;)

Bobb - thank you for your words ... you capture it so well in ways I *still* have found it difficult to write about without making light of what I've seen ... but yes, those facing the abyss is a beautiful way to capture it ... as ever, thank you for your encouragement

Roxanne said...

Clandestine - thanks for your kind words ... i am always seeking guidance in one form or another ... and yes, keep on applying consistently :)