They had no mercy
it was just a policy -- they said
of their government
this systematic destruction
of your homes, your language
your humanity
push you to the borders
stateless
without a hope
Canada
will take you in
land of the strong and free
yes – we know how you’ve paid for survival
with your blood, your love
your meaning
we want to help
with english classes and housing
and with finding jobs
for one year
one year
we can help
and just as you start to feel safe
to feel this place
could be where your family
has a future
we remind you of your promise
to pay us back
for your plane tickets
-- with interest --
for each child too
yes, we’ll need that money back
push you to the boundaries
of poverty
systematic destruction
of your opportunity, possibility
of your humanity
just a policy, you see
We have no mercy
Canada sponsors a small number of refugees each year who come from devastated countries where there has been severe loss through war, natural disaster or persecution for the people there. In fact, it is Canada's policy to identify and help those refugees who are *most* vulnerable, not simply those who will be able to "make it work" in Canada.
However, there is a policy dating back to WWII that requires that government-sponsored refugees pay back their airfare with interest. This burden is especially challenging for widows with large families or refugees with very little English or marketable skills trapped in low income jobs. (For example, many Burmese refugees lived in refugee camps in the jungle for twenty years before they came to Canada). These limitations, coupled with a fear of losing their status in my country, force refugee families to make decisions that compromise their quality of life and health.
Young teenagers focus on finding jobs to help their family instead of spending time on their studies. Mothers often work two jobs. One young man, now a leader in his community, shared how his family ate only one meal a day for many years to accomodate payments for this loan.
When asked why this "refugee transportation loan" policy exists, government representatives respond "over 90% of recipients pay back the loan, so we can't see there is a problem." Apparently, poverty, health issues, gang recruitment, low high school completion rates and food insecurity are not problems. And yet, many of these families have the determination and commitment to honor this oppressive loan repayment.
We are currently working to advocate for the removal of this refugee transportation policy loan. See this video clip of a news story in Edmonton for more information
(p.s. thanks to Hopper whose poetry in a similar form helped me create this piece)
15 comments:
A very thoughtful & thought-provoking post, Honor. The question of refugees continues to stimulate discussion & argument in many countries. I frequently cross swords with dear friends whose conservative & reactionary views on refugees scare me! Our previous government's treatment of refugees & asylum-seekers was shameful, putting it mildly.Fortunately,the new government has more conscious.
The last thing that a new arrival in a country needs is to be forced into poverty - their chances of falling into crime, debt or illegal work must be doubled by this. Clearly it's vital that any new people arriving in a country pay their way, but not to the extent of giving them no hope. Surely there must be other ways of reclaiming this money?
Hey Roxy... Lovely poem... we all like to think highly of ourselves living in our nice so-called liberal democracies here... but sometimes... you've just gotta wonder when you see things like this... and with our current conservative government... well... it ain't gonna get better before it gets worse...
Honour,
Never knew this. Now I have another reason to wonder if there's much heart in the Canadian government (the continued annual baby Harp Seal hunt drives me into an activist whir). Your poem is wonderful.
I emailed a long message about 24 hours ago. It has been bounced back to me three times during the day and at this point I'm not sure if you've rec'd it. Let me know (it is full of thanks for the beautiful website you referred me to :)
painful on their part... and hopeful on your part...
such a blessing to see people like you struggling to establish more justice...
a very powerful poem... especially the way the circle is closed...
'They' and 'we' becoming one...
art sure makes a difference...
systematic destruction...
of people's identity...
making each one of them just a cog in the wheel of... a ruthless business
i relate much to this... very much...
thanks, Roxannne for the concern and the insight...
I never knew about this either but it reminds me a little of "indentured servants" of times past when the incomer had to give up a number of years of their life working for XYZ to pay off the passage fee. It sounds like you are doing good and kind work for those who cannot speak out or if they speak out are not heard. Be well, suki
Wow, Honour, this is powerful writing. I had no idea this went on ... I wonder if it happens in other countries?
Strongly written
Powerful
Well chosen
Courageous words
What's happened to that Sudanese woman is terrible. She started the interview saying that when she got to Canada it was like "the heavens opened up for her", only to turn around and face financial debt and Cancer instead of wartorn country. And that idiot was sitting there talking about how 90% of the refugees pay off their debt, completely neglecting this woman's story. The refugees need to be given a chance to make it in that society first.
Like cabacurl above me, I also have friends with these single-minded conservative views. But they don't scare me, they anger me. I wrote about a couple of those opinions actually. The people must rise up against things like this.
Cabacurl -- yes, I find it is a sensitive topic for many ... and the number of refugees have vastly increased these past ten years -- making it relevant for many countries!
DFTP - Yes - it is a very sad situation ... I think that immigrants (those who choose to come to Canada) certainly should pay their way. Refugees, though, are those displaced by war or famine don't really have much choice in their circumstances ... I would rather see Canada accept fewer refugees and help them fully by paying their airfare and not launching them into debt, then acepting more refugees and then not helping them make an appropriate start to life here. No easy answers though, that's the thing!!
Jon - yeah I'm trying to keep the faith. however, with our recent Canada Day celebrations - I do know i still have lots to be thankful for ... trying not to get too discouraged!
Lydia - thanks for your kind words. glad you enjoyed the poem ... (I have an email coming out to you soon this weekend)
HB - yes, I too believe art makes a difference. I'm going to use the poem in some of my professional circles to try to raise some awareness. I am trying to make a difference ... but lately, it has been a bit tiring -- art is my way of coping with it all ...
Dear suki - your analogy of "indentured servants" is very apt! As I said to HB, I try to do what I can ... but it is a fine balancing act between not being burned out by your own fire of passion for issues like this!
Anne-Marie -- good question!! I certainly didn't know about this until I worked in this field ... I'd be curious
Bobb - thanks :)now for the next step of courageousness and getting the message out wider!
clandestine -- it's nice to see your face in your pictures now! yeah, i thought it was a great news story. I thought it was very good how the editors would show a clip of her heartwrenching story, and then cut to this government person talking about statistics.
that's the thing - once you hear people's STORIES -- it's no longer just facts. you see the impact on people's lives of such policies ... and the injustice really becomes evident.
It is very brave for some of these individuals to speak out. They are very happy to be here in Canada - they don't want to seem like they are ungrateful for their life here ... and yet, they are struggling so much ... and that is what we promised, isn't it? complete citizenship? not a "lesser" voice than others ???
ah - lots to reflect on - that I haven't even had a chance to yet explore ...
I met some new Canadians (legal and otherwise) this year while volunteering for an ESL class. I learned so much about other parts of the world and felt like I had done some real traveling.
It would sure be nice if we could stop looking at people as just another commodity. And just offer help where help is needed.
Oh my - I find you learn so much about people when volunteering in an ESL class.
I agree with you completely - people are not a commodity ... we have forgotten about community!
Post a Comment