(as told in a storytelling competition last summer)
In University, Imran was my best friend. You know how friends bring out the worst and best in people? Well, Imran was my best friend because he was best at bringing out my worst.
The other thing that brings out the best and worst in people is camping. Sharing a tent and communally making meals tells you a great deal about a person’s character.
So, one weekend after the not-very-bright idea of bringing Imran on a camping trip, and surviving the multitude of arguments that ensued -- on the long drive home on Highway 2 -- my other friend, Julia, and I shared the observation (out loud, of course, to Imran himself) that Imran was a closet chauvinist.
Imran’s response was a big, snorting guffaw.
“Look,” I said. “You’re Mr. City Boy who’s camped - maybe twice in your life - and yet, who insisted that they should build the fire?”
Campfires. Now, there’s another good personality test – right up there with Myers-Briggs. Julia and I had baptized Imran with his new name — Prometheus — after the first night for bestowing his gift of fire to us lowly girly-girls.
“As if you’re not a city girl,” he retorted. He picked on me, cause he he knew Julia was untouchable. She had grown up in Stettler.
My back stiffened. “I am not,” I defended myself. In the nineties, I was granola through and through — way before it was hip to be earthy.
“I’ve certainly spent a lot more time outdoors than you,” I said. Imran was not the tree-planter type. The man was an expert on color-coordination, lived on chocolate covered coffee beans and regularly called me up to say “need to cancel for tomorrow, gotta skip town, someone slashed my tires” or some variation on that. If anything, Imran was part of the brown mafia, but not the boyscouts.
He challenged me. “Oh yeah – and what kind of stuff have you done outdoors?”
I dove into the litany of the weekends I spent at my aunt’s cabin, picking saskatoon berries, going on tractor rides and catching toads so we could race them. I reviewed the camping and fishing trips with my family, squishing minnows onto fishhooks for bait, skipping rocks on the lake and burning my tongue with charred marshmellows. I was so-NOT a city girl.
“And?” he snapped. “A couple of days in the whole year. I say you’re still a city girl.”
I felt the blood rush to my ears. What kind of friend was this? Trying to tell me that he knew me better than myself?
(Of course, this is what real friends do, but I didn’t know that so early in my adult life.)
That’s when something inside me turned.
“I have a zoo degree, mister. I’ve had to climb trees, collect worms, and work my way through canola fields,” I pressed. He looked unimpressed. I clenched my teeth. “We even had to sleep overnight there.”
Julia piped up. “Canola?”
“Canola,” I said with finality.
“Oh, fine,” Imran said, defeat in his voice. “Sleeping in canola fields. I guess you’re not a city girl after all.”
“Thank you,” I said indignation vibrating in every part of me. And in no way, regretting that every word of the last sentence spoken from my lips had been a complete and utter lie.
The other thing that brings out the best and worst in people is camping. Sharing a tent and communally making meals tells you a great deal about a person’s character.
So, one weekend after the not-very-bright idea of bringing Imran on a camping trip, and surviving the multitude of arguments that ensued -- on the long drive home on Highway 2 -- my other friend, Julia, and I shared the observation (out loud, of course, to Imran himself) that Imran was a closet chauvinist.
Imran’s response was a big, snorting guffaw.
“Look,” I said. “You’re Mr. City Boy who’s camped - maybe twice in your life - and yet, who insisted that they should build the fire?”
Campfires. Now, there’s another good personality test – right up there with Myers-Briggs. Julia and I had baptized Imran with his new name — Prometheus — after the first night for bestowing his gift of fire to us lowly girly-girls.
“As if you’re not a city girl,” he retorted. He picked on me, cause he he knew Julia was untouchable. She had grown up in Stettler.
My back stiffened. “I am not,” I defended myself. In the nineties, I was granola through and through — way before it was hip to be earthy.
“I’ve certainly spent a lot more time outdoors than you,” I said. Imran was not the tree-planter type. The man was an expert on color-coordination, lived on chocolate covered coffee beans and regularly called me up to say “need to cancel for tomorrow, gotta skip town, someone slashed my tires” or some variation on that. If anything, Imran was part of the brown mafia, but not the boyscouts.
He challenged me. “Oh yeah – and what kind of stuff have you done outdoors?”
I dove into the litany of the weekends I spent at my aunt’s cabin, picking saskatoon berries, going on tractor rides and catching toads so we could race them. I reviewed the camping and fishing trips with my family, squishing minnows onto fishhooks for bait, skipping rocks on the lake and burning my tongue with charred marshmellows. I was so-NOT a city girl.
“And?” he snapped. “A couple of days in the whole year. I say you’re still a city girl.”
I felt the blood rush to my ears. What kind of friend was this? Trying to tell me that he knew me better than myself?
(Of course, this is what real friends do, but I didn’t know that so early in my adult life.)
That’s when something inside me turned.
“I have a zoo degree, mister. I’ve had to climb trees, collect worms, and work my way through canola fields,” I pressed. He looked unimpressed. I clenched my teeth. “We even had to sleep overnight there.”
Julia piped up. “Canola?”
“Canola,” I said with finality.
“Oh, fine,” Imran said, defeat in his voice. “Sleeping in canola fields. I guess you’re not a city girl after all.”
“Thank you,” I said indignation vibrating in every part of me. And in no way, regretting that every word of the last sentence spoken from my lips had been a complete and utter lie.
I had wanted to climb up the trees, but my classmates insisted that I record the data. Sure, I collected worms – from my petri dish. And the canola field? Inspired by my view out the window.
It just took over me. I didn’t give it a second thought. The primal part of me (the part that felt five years old) wanted – no, needed – to win that argument. And it decided to disconnect my brain from my mouth and short-circuit it to something else.
Who said those words? I thought. And, then, it didn’t matter – it was eclipsed by the satisfaction of winning the argument.
It took a whole week to actually feel badly about the lie.
I confessed to Julia first.
“I was wondering about that,” she said. “Canola’s really itchy. I wasn’t sure how you could sleep there.”
Imran was not so forgiving. He wasn’t mad, just triumphant. And then, quite delighted to point out how, I – Roxanne – the Ms. Righteous Social Issues Activist — who sees the world in such clean lines of right and wrong -- had so easily descended into lying to win an argument.
The next couple of times we fought, he’d always counter with, “and how do I know you’re not lying about that?” … which lasted for about two years.
I’m not so harsh on liars anymore – politicians, movie stars, family and friends. There’s always popcorn gallery talk like “how could they lie like that??” and I’d respond with a simple “it happens.”
Who knows what “it” is… passion, fear, pride. The emotional prefix to a lie.
Sometimes, when I drive along Highway 2 and the bright shock of yellow canola fields break the monotony of green along the horizon, I remember my little indiscretion and I smile.
It just took over me. I didn’t give it a second thought. The primal part of me (the part that felt five years old) wanted – no, needed – to win that argument. And it decided to disconnect my brain from my mouth and short-circuit it to something else.
Who said those words? I thought. And, then, it didn’t matter – it was eclipsed by the satisfaction of winning the argument.
It took a whole week to actually feel badly about the lie.
I confessed to Julia first.
“I was wondering about that,” she said. “Canola’s really itchy. I wasn’t sure how you could sleep there.”
Imran was not so forgiving. He wasn’t mad, just triumphant. And then, quite delighted to point out how, I – Roxanne – the Ms. Righteous Social Issues Activist — who sees the world in such clean lines of right and wrong -- had so easily descended into lying to win an argument.
The next couple of times we fought, he’d always counter with, “and how do I know you’re not lying about that?” … which lasted for about two years.
I’m not so harsh on liars anymore – politicians, movie stars, family and friends. There’s always popcorn gallery talk like “how could they lie like that??” and I’d respond with a simple “it happens.”
Who knows what “it” is… passion, fear, pride. The emotional prefix to a lie.
Sometimes, when I drive along Highway 2 and the bright shock of yellow canola fields break the monotony of green along the horizon, I remember my little indiscretion and I smile.
And, then, I always start to feel a little itchy.
10 comments:
I still have a two-man tent at my parent's house, though you have to be pretty friendly with the other person to get two people inside. I hope to use it again someday.
Men in the wilderness get all tribal and feel they have to prove themselves - why else would wild horses not drag them to a cooker, but the first hint of a barbeque and they're tying on the Amusing Skeleton Apron?
I loved this story and the photos made me long to get out on my bike again and feel that sense of freedom you only get when you're all alone in the country :)
This story is as open, honest, and fresh as the scenery in the photos.
Terrific!
Creative non-fiction? Nice. Good use of dialogue (inner and outer) to tell the story.
I get anxious when I think about camping with non-family members. Nature makes me feel exposed. I used to like it when I was a kid though. Maybe I will again some day.
M
Great story. It made me laugh and also it had a good theme, the idea that in our heads we think one thing (I would never....fill in the blank) but in experiential reality we might do other than what our thinking minds imagine. The story was well told. How did you do in the competition. By the way, I have never heard of canola fields. I'm guessing though that this grain is where canola oil comes from?? Suki
DFTP - what is it with tents anyway? a two-man (ahem two-person) tent is really a one-person tent. A three person tent is really a two person tent. Why do they do that????
Tribal, indeed :)
Yes, in the summertime I long to be out of the city. Preparing myself for the long winter ahead ...
Lydia - glad you enjoyed!
M - yes, creative non-fiction. My first genre and to be honest, the one I feel most comfortable in. It's how my family communicates - we tell stories about one another :)
Suki - I did not bad. I think I came in second that time. We have it once a month, so it is a good way to keep the creativity flowing. Yes, this is where Canola oil comes from ... it is a common sight here in Alberta -- the yellow against the blue. It's quite shocking really - you can see the canola away for miles!
Yeah - apologies for the inadvertant sexism, but i'm pretty sure they are sold as "two-man" - maybe i should complain? I don't know why they make these things so small inside, but it does make you wonder what these artic explorers get up to once the sun goes down!
"In the nineties, I was granola through and through — way before it was hip to be earthy."
I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing after reading this sentence. Pray tell, when do you think it "became hip to be earthy?"
I'm surprised Suki didn't pick up on this, as she and I were probably both busy being "earthy" in the late sixties and early seventies, but perhaps you were not born yet then, and maybe "being earthy" had a resurgence somewhere around the late 90's early 2000 unbeknownst to me?
Let me see if I can find my Berkenstocks and go get some granola for my breakfast...Peace!
Otherwise, an enjoyable piece to read on camping and men!
Nice
brilliant!
one of those works after reading them i feel so energetic...
the ending sentence was perfect... giving the reader a good sense of conclusion plus a hidden lesson s/he can chew on...
the humor running so lively through the work like a stream was so impressive... especially because most of the time the target was the narrator herself...
we are more impressed when hear or read about someone's 'confessions'
:)
this sentence just killed me:
"And it decided to disconnect my brain from my mouth and short-circuit it to something else."
and the reader thinks and thinks about that "something else"
Roxanne... really enjoyed your work... the way you talked about serious and profound topics in a very casual way through an experience in life...
and this is the best way to teach... not to teach at all just tell a story...
and you are a master of it...
love... hugs... kisses
Lynn - glad you enjoyed .... i left a response for you on your blog!
Bobbb - you are of course, always welcome ....
HB - my dear, i have wondered myself over the years, what that "something else" is ... I try to watch out for it :) thank you for your kind words
Post a Comment