Tuesday, August 5, 2008

More than Words

I have nothing against technology … most notably in the current context (what you're reading) for communication.

I use the internet to stay in touch with friends and family who don’t live in my city ... and new blogfriends too. I use the cell phone to call for help when I am silly enough to lock my purse and keys inside my car. In open view. In the inner city.

But when techno-communication starts replacing human interaction, I worry. A documentary on CBC last month talked about the role of the cell phone in Japan. Apparently, on Japanese subways it is considered rude to talk -- you might disturb others who are watching videos on their phones or texting one another.

It’s rude to talk in public?

(And since I am always working in different cultural contexts, I’m really trying to see the cultural side of this).

And, Don’t Feed the Pixies rightly laments in one of his postings over the fact that one of the pre-programmed messages arriving with new cell phones today is "I love you too."

Alright. I'm a romantic. And a writer at that. But the expression of love and all that comes with it – vulnerability, acceptance, steadfast presence – has no place in a text message.

There's a point – where words, if used too much, –become meaningless.

Sure, we have instant communication – anywhere and anytime – but at what price? Frankly, it’s changed the face of dating. Last week, my younger cousin asked me for advice about a love interest in her life. “He texts me every day to say good morning – do you think he likes me?"

I was speechless. I was going to go into an analysis about how if he actually takes the time to painstakingly put in each letter – maybe … but if it’s an automatic message he can program … then, no. And, then I stopped and realized how ridiculous that would sound.

Call me crazy, but I like to see someone’s expression on their face when you share your day with them, whether or not they lean in when you’re close by, or how they look when you enter a room. Whether or not they show up when they say they’ll show up and if they’re listening when it’s your turn to talk.

I understand how “currency” works – people like love expressed in different ways. Quality time, affection, gifts, or (my favorite) service. When I lived in the Philippines for six months, young men used to bring over candy or carry my books to the bus. In Costa Rica, romantic interest was measured by how many times he asked you to salsa or whether or not he walked you back to your residence. Different ways, but expressions *in person* nevertheless.

More than words.
And definitely not a pre-programmed message that you could send while driving your car at the same time.

Certainly, I don’t expect someone in this day and age to come to my window and serenade me.

But, I suppose – if a text message is not enough for me – you could call me old-fashioned.

14 comments:

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Thanks for the mention and for another very interesting post. You should remember that the Japanese also wear face masks when they have colds because they feel it rude to give another person their cold. My question about the people watching videos etc is are they using headphones?

I travel on busses a lot and have no problem with people having conversations or listening to music - what i have a problem with is people inflicting that conversation/music on others by constantly talking in overly loud voices or not using headphones. Recently a bus driver refused to carry on driving until some lads had turned off the music on their phones - he got a mouthful of abuse for his efforts from the lads. I was torn: no, i didn't want to listen to their music, but i really, really didn;t want to sit there waiting for them to learn respect for others.

And finally - i text my partner pretty much every day because i don't always get to talk to her in the mornings, but i don't consider it to be a replacement for conversation and i worry about a future where everyone breaks up, proposes or interacts solely through the printed word

Lydia said...

This is such a beautifully crafted piece; it belongs in a magazine or newspaper most definitely. Will you submit it?

DFTP's final sentence: he should take that one and turn it into a sci-fi piece. Wouldn't that make an interesting play....just two people and a black drape in between their two separate areas of the stage?

CaBaCuRl said...

I need to think a bit about your post on electronic communication...many issues involved.
Thanks again for visiting my blog.OK..so why did that face in the sculpture unsettle me? I think because he looks so forlorn, even a sense of despair...in some ways, i feel like I shouldn't have been there & so close ( I was close...didn't zoom...and I had to crouch down and look up into his downcast face)). It seemed like a private moment. There was nothing I could do to 'share' his burden either, and I remember feeling that I wanted to ask him what was wrong. Hmm, perhaps, too, it was confronting for me, as it was a difficult time in my life...& I was not the most personally expressive person then...."head in the sand syndrome'...'ignore it & it'll go away" type of thing. So perhaps I was seeing something of myself too. And maybe, that's what attracted me so much to this face. Thanks for this opportunity, Honour.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, but I think at some time I've either written about this very topic on my blog, or just thought about it, or said to someone that these kids need to be hit in the head with their Sidekicks.

I agree, there's a time and a place and a space for everything. Quick little "hey, how are you?"s and "I'm at the corner."s can be text. Or if someone's in an important meeting and wants to say "I love you." or "I'm imagining your underwear" to their partner or some such nonsense, then that's understandable. But by no means should technology monopolize communications.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I'm not really sure about particular good food spots in NYC. I usually just go to the big chains: iHop, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Applebees, Friendly's, etc. You are likely to know that aspect about NYC better than me when you come here.

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow! You bring so much to clarity here. What is happening to written language, love letters, sweet phone calls late at night, boys carrying girls books from class to class, walking them home and to the door after dates, meeting at the movies or soda fountain? Is there still such a thing as a soda fountain?

Unbelieveable what you described happening in Japan. It sounds so backwards, as I find cell phone conversations in public as rude and obtrusive when held so loudly I can hear every word in cafes, on the street, in offices and other public places. Why do people feel they have to talk so loud when on them?

My son met his wife to be on the Internet. No more need to find people in the flesh in person in real life places...just sit at home wearing whatever and beam up a supply of people to choose from before dressing up to go out and meet and empress them? We live in the speed-it-up-society.

I have yet to punch out a text message...to make more than 25 cell phone calls in the few years I've had phone...but I do communicate with people all over the world via the Internet and I have to admit it has added much to my life in friendships and inspiration for my artwork. So I can see the good, the bad and the ugly in this new technology.

But I feel sorry for my grandchildren who will probably never meet a date at the soda fountain.

Roxanne said...

It's an interesting topic isn't it? Clandestine's comments made me laugh. And I understand DFTP's note ... there is conversation in public and there is CONVERSATION in public! I had to sit through a very young wedded couple argue about financial priorities in a coffee shop the other day (as I tried to wade through my own work) because he couldn't understand why she wouldn't spend one thousand dollars on a TV even if they did win a million dollars.

As for if the Japanese were wearing headphones on the subway, I don't know!

There is a book though - thinking of Lydia's comments - solely made up of letters and emails to one another. Interesting. But, no I wouldn't want my life to be like that. (I never thought of submitting it Lydia, but I might now).

Which all brings me to Lynn's comments who wraps it all so nicely with snippets of different aspects of our life affected by the "good, bad and ugly" in technology. An elegy for the soda fountaing!

sukipoet said...

But how sweet it would be if someone did stand beneath your window and serenade you. I am definitely one who likes to talk to people in person. I rarely use the telephone, much less cell phone. Though like Lynn I have many blogland friends I like to keep in touch with. In earlier years I spent many hours writing many many letters. My friend the Poet M. and I met via real handwritten letters and we wrote hundreds. Now though I do not write letters. I have never texed a message. And I know the world is zooming by fast fast and i am already being left behind in the quake. Excellent post and great comments. NYCity?

human being said...

yes as Lynn mentioned there is a good, bad and ugly aspect to each phenomenon...
really intersting topic and comments...

and Roxanne, you are absolutley right... those expressions on the faces of our friends when we see them in person mean a lot...

and yes pre-programmed messages really hurt!
as the fox in The Little Prince says:

"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."

nowadays poeple spend less and lesser time and consequently relations perish soon...

Anonymous said...

The personal touch
Is just that...

Personal

Somthing like 50% of human communication is non verbal

How are you going to really understand one another without body language and facial expression?


I would serenade a girl in a heartbeat
And sometimes do...

As for text mssging
I don't own a cellphone

Roxanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roxanne said...

Suki - I will admit.I don't expect a serenade, but that doesn't mean I would turn one down :) Yes, the world zooms by fast. My little five year old niece showed me how to make pictures on my brother's ipod zoom in. I was fascinated at how quickly she learned. Then, she dissolved into giggles as she focused onto the picture of her two year old brother's bum. I suppose SOME things never change.

HB - what an absolutely lovely quote from the Little Prince.

"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."

I love it.

It's like a reminder that the things that really matter DO take time. Like roses. And fresh baked bread. And conversations.

Bobbb - indeed! I have heard that too. 50% is nonverbal! I am not surprised to hear you have serenaded in the past :)

michael.offworld said...

Honour, you are a writer in so many ways. I don't know nothing about no texting. But, I did find a cool website to translate the rest of my comment:

www.lingo2word.com/translate.php

I agree W u, bt I tnk yung ppl (stil feel d same nd 2B luvD. Real lov wl fnd a wA txtN or nt.

M

Roxanne said...

Michael - thanks for the website. I loved it! I found a special section on "romantic" text messages - ha ha. I found these two poems ... I thought the rest of the blog community would enjoy trying to interpret them.

stix n stones r hrd on bones, Aimed W :-@ art, wrds cn sting lk NEfin, bt silence breaks D hart

Lv M Nw Or Lv M Nvr Bt f U Lv M Lv M 4evr.

http://www.lingo2word.com/searchtxt.php?tosearch1=Romance