ONE - One year. that's how long I've officially been blogging. I started last year around this time, wondering what the journey of blogging would bring. And while I got what I expected -- opportunities to create, a venue for my writing -- I got one thing I didn't expect -- an incredible community of fellow bloggers!
THREE - Thrice a week. That's the minimum times I'd like to write every week for this next year. I will block out the times in my calendar. With the start of my new business, it didn't quite happen. I've forgotten to make writing my compass. That's how I should judge the quality of my life. But, I do eventually come back to it, even when I do drift away. I won't judge myself for that and just get back on to track.
FIVE - Five km. That's how far I ran in the "resolution run" on January 1.
TWENTY-THREE - Minus twenty-three degrees centigrade. That's how cold it was when I ran. It was my first run ever. A big accomplishment for someone who doesn't consider herself athletic.
TWENTY - Twenty minutes. A friend of mine, who is a publisher, challenged me and my writer friends to produce some pieces of flash fiction by January 15. I will start tomorrow. So that we don't get too carried away, he gave us a guideline of spending no more than twenty minutes on each piece, including editing.
SEVEN - He wanted seven pieces, each focusing on a deadly sin: greed, gluttony, envy, sloth, pride, lust, and wrath.
INFINITE - Billie, one of my writing circle members, has an infinite number of ideas to make things more interesting. She discovered the Vatican's new list of seven sins (invented in March 2008), in contrast to the Traditional Deadlies: genetic modification; carrying out experiments on humans; polluting the environment; social injustice; poverty; being obscenely wealthy; and (of course ! ha ha) taking drugs.
If any of you fellow bloggers would like to take part in the seven deadly challenge, let me know. I'll post it along with my twenty-minute creations.
Happy New Year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
What a great post! It's like paint by numbers with the picture being your life as you stand today. I can hardly wait to see what comes from your seven deadly challenge!
The twenty minute stories sound like fun. I hope we do get to hear more from you in 2009, Honor, you always have thoughtful things to say. Love the photos in your sidebar. Take care, Suki
Yes - count me in. Just so long as i don't fall into the trap of planning out the first five intricately then leaving the last two to random chance in a plot twist that leaves you unsatisfied
Not that i didn't enjoy the film Seven or anything...
You ran 5km in minus 23-degree cold? Brrrr! Suddenly there's a chill in here. You brave girl.
I wish you a very happy 2009.
I enjoyed reading your numbered post...quite the year...wonderful accomplishments...and more to come...see you in the new year!
Sounds like a fabulously fun challenge! I wish you infinite creativity...and of course infinite blessings! I am sorry I haven't stopped by in awhile. I've been working on a few projects myself, trying to build a modest career with the art thing. The Vatican's new list is interesting! Infinite blessings!
You have been impressively busy! Congrats on your one year anniversary. You're ahead of me by a bit over a month. I think we "found" one another fairly early on, too. How great to know you, Honour, and to read you.
I would try it out if I weren't already trying to attack a few works of my own. Good luck with it. And congratulations on the run.
Ladybug - Thanks - are you interested in participating? It's a great exercise!
Suki - thanks for your kind words. Aren't the pictures beautiful? I hope to put more up soon. The top one is from Prince Edward Island and the second one is near Cape Breton in Nova Scotia.
DFTP - ah - you ARE skilled if you actually make the stories connect. I don't think I will attempt such a feat. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Anne-Marie - thanks. Brave or foolish? I think foolish is more appropriate :)
Lynn - looking forward to seeing you too!
Quiche - of course, you would love the infinite number ... I forgot! I wish you creativity this year in all your endeavors
Lydia - I really am surpised you've been blogging for only one year. You seem like such a "pro"!
samurai - I will need the luck. when you have time later in the year, you should try this challenge. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say ...
Post a Comment