Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Thoughts of the Miraculous

I wrote this on November 11, 2008. But, I thought it was a nice posting for the Christmas season ... Season's Greetings to you All :)

Today is first snowfall.

I could smell it last night -- it smells of heavy anticipation.

And the sky is a strange shade of grey on white. When you wake up, you know it has snowed even before you look out the window. The air that filters into the room, between the curtain and the window's edge, is more bright, more sharp, but less warm.

I don't mind it. Snow is inevitable.

When snow comes, I feel a sense of relief. That indeed Edmonton is the same as it always has been -- spring, summer, fall, winter. Winter.

Even if we can't rely upon world financial markets or politics, we can still rely on winter.

Not to mention that everything looks ineffectual just before snowfall. The grass is yellow, flowers are wilting and the trees are almost bare, leaves clinging to the end of their branches.

But with that silver frost and layer of white outlining all that remains outside, all of a sudden the tree is beautiful again. Each branch made complex and purposeful once more.

Yes, snow uncovers the miraculous in the ordinary.

9 comments:

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Honour - your words always bring a bit of light into an otherwise dull day. Merry christmas and all the best for 2009 xx

sukipoet said...

Beautiful thoughts Honor. I love "we can still rely on winter." May you have a wonderful holiday and a joyful and creative 2009.

soul in progress said...

For all the bellyaching we do about winter, when I look out my kitchen window and see that blanket of white I feel a sense of calm. But you know me I'm a hibernator, if I lived by the beach I would have this perpetual guilt of being inside all the time. Winter is my comfort food.
Merry Christmas my dear friend.

Lydia said...

Your post was like a special decoration added to my holidays, Honour. Thank you for your special blog and for your friendship. Love and Merry Christmas to you.

michael.offworld said...

Yes, beauty in the ordinary. You have the gift for noticing and sharing these miracles. Best wishes for a wonderful 2009. Michael

Anonymous said...

Yes, it would do people good spiritually and emotionally if they attached themselves to something that was fairly certain, like the winter.

Of course, I say fairly because of the pressing issue of Global Warming, which I am seeing and feeling the effects of as we speak.

Happy Holidays.

human being said...

"Each branch made complex and purposeful once more."

love the wisdom you always share with us through your words...

Merry Christmas!
Happy New Year, Roxy...

may all your days through the year shine with light and be filled with happiness and love...

hugs and kisses

Lynn Cohen said...

wow, yes.
what we can and cannot count upon...
Happy New Year no matter what!
;-)
Thanks for being a thoughtful poet and a thoughtful blog commenter too this year Honour!
It's an Honour to have met you!

Roxanne said...

Thanks for all of your kind wishes and happy new year greetings!

I wish all of you also a creative and inspiring 2009 :)