Sunday, January 11, 2009

If it could be so sweet ...

He told his wife it wasn’t a big deal, so she was surprised when he presented her with a four hundred dollar gift certificate to Alfred’s, the designer dress store uptown.

Surprised, but not accommodating.

He could see her reflection in the mirror as he straightened his tie. She looked stunning in the purple satin dress she picked out.

It wasn’t a big deal. But, he insisted she wear her mink wrap anyway. There was a chill in the air.

How many of his classmates would remember him? It would be twenty years since they graduated from high school and he had had a small group of friends. Loyal friends.

He leaned forward and turned his head, looking at his profile. He looked good. That trainer of his had worked him hard for his third ironman competition and he could see the results. Even under the broad lines of his Armani suit.

He kept quiet for most of the drive there, nodding to his wife’s usual inane comments. She was a good wife, a beautiful wife, a supportive wife. What a man wanted in every woman. But conversations weren’t her strong point.

By the time they reached the hotel door, he had tuned her out completely. He was busy looking for Joe – yes, by the bar – and Matt, over by the phones. He waved and walked over, holding his wife’s hand.

He had gotten used to the look in men’s eyes when they glanced over at his wife, but that didn’t mean he still didn’t get satisfaction from it. He was a success, he knew it. But he deserved it. He worked hard to rise to the top of his specialty, orthopaedic surgery. He hated the work. But he loved the results.

He exchanged greetings with his friends and asked in an indifferent tone, “So, who’s here?”

Matt and Joe described a couple of people he vaguely remembered. He took it one step further.

“What about that guy – remember – ah, he was on the football team. He had that really tall blond friend and they were always doing something idiotic in our physics class.”

Kevin. Oh yeah, they remembered Kevin. His friends were surprised he forgot Kevin’s name. How could he forget, they asked in surprise. Remember, you got in a fight with him in front of the whole school? He was such a jerk. Everyone agreed upon that. Biggest asshole in school.

“Was it Kevin? Huh, I had forgotten about that. Amazing how that seems like a whole different world.”

But, in fact, the world was very much the same. And he couldn’t wait to see Kevin’s face when he showed up. With his wife. His car. His looks. And when he told him how much he was making, Kevin would be sorry he ever forgot his name. For in Kevin’s eyes, he knew he was a nobody.

Over drinks and dinner, he was surprised at how many people he remembered. And how happy they seemed to be with their very normal, ordinary lives. He sensed their admiration, but it still was not enough. Not until –

“Peter? Peter – hey, man, remember me?”

He turned to see Kevin shuffling over towards him. He would never have recognized him. His frame was thin and he had wisps of grey hair along the crown of his head. When Kevin reached him, Peter recognized him a little despite the gaunt cheeks, only because his blue eyes were bright as ever.

“It’s so great you could come out, Peter.” Kevin grabbed his hand in his, shaking it up and down with great enthusiasm. “You look fantastic.”

Peter nodded and smiled. It was Kevin. Here was his chance. He told him about his job and introduced his wife. He was about to go on about his last holiday, when he noticed that Kevin was genuinely interested. Asking questions with a rare sincerity.

Peter swallowed. There could be no mercy, Kevin was an idiot. And Kevin needed to know how great his life was.

“Sorry, excuse me, I’d like you to meet my wife,” Kevin interrupted before Peter could say another word. Let me call her over,” he beckoned an ordinary looking woman to come over. She placed her hand firmly in Kevin’s.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she said. She looked at Kevin with devotion. Devotion that usually was created only after a lifetime. “I’ve heard so many stories. Kevin told me you were the smartest guy in high school. He knew you’d go far. It’s great to meet you all, especially since it’s been a personal goal of ours to make it to the high school reunion.”

“A personal goal?” Peter asked. What kind of wackos where these people anyway?

“Well,” she glanced at Kevin again, love in her eyes. “Though we are hoping that the chemo treatments will take this time, we’ve just decided every second is a gift. And every event – like tonight – is like winning a small prize.”

Peter felt nauseous. Kevin and his wife were called away by another classmate wanting to talk to them.

Matt and Joe came over. “Man, that Kevin – what a nice guy. Who would have thought, eh?”

Peter could do nothing but nod. It wasn’t Kevin’s fault that everything he accomplished seemed miniscule now. He hoped the swig of vodka would remove the bitter taste left in his mouth.
**
End.
(Can you guess the sin?)

6 comments:

Lydia said...

I guess pride. With a dose of wrath.

By the time I finished this piece I had tears in my eyes. What powerful writing. I love the way you describe so much so well without "descriptive language." It's a real gift you have.

wandernotlost said...

This must be about pride, no? It's a great little morality tale about the sin of seeking value and status in non-meaningful ways. You're a master with short stories, Roxy!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my guess is the same as the two above me.

I actually kind of sympathize with Peter. Perhaps the fight was a pivotal, embarassing moment in his life that drove him to gain those material things that give the illusion of power to others. But he was fool for having that drive solely to impress others.

Perhaps this will teach Peter do more constructive things with the abilities and things he has. Not to say that he hasn't already.

Roxanne said...

Excellent! It was indeed pride. Actually, I was writing it with vanity in mind .. and then I couldn't decide between pride and vanity ... then I discovered they were actually the same sin!

Lydia - thanks for your compliments! and it is the greatest of compliments that you gave ... I try to write without adverbs etc. -- and so it is good to hear my words - though simple - still have power.

San - thanks so much missy :)

Clandestine - perfect. I'm thrilled you sympathize with Peter. I don't want these characters to be "grossly" evil. No fun in writing that. However, I find it tough to write these pieces because I, at one time or another, have committed these "sins". Hard to be so hard on the protagonist for carrying a trait that I, myself, have possessed!

Lynn Cohen said...

Such a typical situation that is so true. I do believe so many go to class reunions for this very purpose to show themselves, their accomplishments...to show others UP.
I loved the trophy wife!
I was hard pressed to believe the doctor Peter would not have recognized Kevin's illness right off, but perhaps his narcissistic tendencies or personality would not allow him to see beyond his SELF.
but he finally saw...and FELT.
Well done.

Roxanne said...

I know isn't it ridiculous?
Thanks Lynn :)