15 little white sails popping up from the twinkling blue riveted my attention. A host of young teens were learning to sail in small vessels clearly built for one. They formed an armada of mini-sailboats and their captains efficiently moved within them.
The sea and winds must be their masters in a way the sun is mine. They must time everything according to her tides and currents and his gusts and gales. They seem aware with a set of senses I cannot imagine carrying ... being able to predict and capture the power of the wind in a sail, weaving in and out of their boat, ducking under their ever pivoting sail, the way a boxer incessantly dodges punches.
I -- who grew up land-locked -- who measures the seasons by lengths of days -- not by the temperature of the seas or the strength of the winds ... I wonder what it would be like to have the winds and waters as my master.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Such it is
When you live near the Ocean
I miss that
The rhythm of the tides, tied to the lunar cycles
Predicting weather, simply by watching the behavior of the shorebirds
It seemed easy, then, to be attuned to the world.
But only those who are open to the idea can see it.
Should you land there for a time
You would acclimate nicely
For you see it now
Even in passing.
Since leaving the shore
I have learned to acclimate to different cycles
And the mountains serve to keep my perspective.
But the ocean has never left my soul
There's something magical about the ocean that calls to our souls. I love the analogy with a boxer - brilliantly written
thank you for taking me to the ocean, the waves, and the motel by the dock where we watched the night lamps flicker on at sundown - reminding us of those whose homes have no bounds - and how, just once, we'd like to live with them.
beautiful thoughts and writing. Of course, I lvied for 30 yrs about an hour away from Newport. However, I was not a water person and have never sailed though of course aware somewhat of the water esp in a storm.
Beautifully written, Honour. I love the vividness of your words. You took me back to my childhood, when I used to watch the flotilla of tiny sailboats pour out of the harbour almost every Sunday.
If you want to know what it's like to "have the winds and waters as your master" - you should come and live here in New Zealand.
Just the wondering makes you one with the winds and waters. You're in touch with the essence, Honour, whether raised land-locked or in a houseboat!
Save up. Take a sail one day yourself. I don't have too much experience out on the seas myself. I think I may be more of the cruise ship type though.
I've enjoyed this learning about the culture of the ocean... Bobb, it is interesting how the mountains serve as that reminder of seasons for you now. I have a girlfriend who grew up on a farm; she always talks about how it's hard for her in the city to be attuned to the changes of seasons ...
Thank you DFTP - they did look like boxers indeed. I'd wonder how they would know when to duck or not!
*Mo - yes, my wanderlust always kicks up when I'm abroad. Now that I'm home ... I've settled down again :)
Suki - I was glad to be a little close to your old stomping ground!
Anne-Marie - I have heard from many the beauty of NZ. It is on my list ...
Lydia - ah, raised on a houseboat! Now there would be an adventure.
Clandestine - so many things to do- such litle time :)
Post a Comment