This city of the world -- not just of North America, but one teeming with global flavour.
I find some things that meet my expectations: a man walking with a big fat pretzel, a woman on her cellphone complaining about her relationship without pausing for a breath in fifteen minutes, artists carrying sketchbooks, and of course, the tourists.
I'm in all the pictures now of Madison Square Gardens for that hour. I blink as the flashes go off. Not used to lights from cameras nearby, nor the lights from the large screen behind me. I keep looking at the sky, wondering if the dark clouds above bring lightning with them ... then laugh at my innocent assumptions.
There are some things that surprise me: a tall blond man carrying a surfboard, a short bald south-asian man who looks like some kind of guru, except his green pants seem too shiny, and about four men whom I am certain I would have married in another lifetime. (They were not drop dead gorgeous -- they just looked like they would have made good husbands).
At about six pm, women and their young children go by me in parades. The toddlers are in strollers or perching from a carrying sling in front of the speedy, effective parents. Others walk alongside their parents. I didn't know three year olds could walk so fast.
The streets are impeccably clean. Here, in this hub, there is a garbage can every ten paces. (I count the paces as people walk pas - yes, it is ten steps). And I witness two men come by with their garbage bags and dustpans, sweeping up the cigarette butts and cleaning out the garbage. Maybe more than usual smoking this week in NYC. I catch snippets of conversation about rates and markets.
But even more than cleanliness, I see what surprises me most. The reports are true. New Yorkers are polite. A man drops a newspaper, the person behind him picks it up, runs to catch up with him and offers the paper back. One of the street cleaners tries to sweep a napkin into his dustpan. The wind blows it out of his reach. He tries and the wind gusts again. Another reach, and the napkin still escapes. Finally a young man, with a guitar slung across his back, steps on the napkin with his boot, picks it up and gently pushes it with his hand into the dustpan. Now, THAT's polite. It's hard to impress a Canadian with politeness, let me tell you.
A teen comes out of the subway, stops and does a couple of dance moves, oblivious to the people smiling around him. He opens one eye and grins. He knows he's watched. And then, three people saunter by, walking slow, with nowhere to go -- ah, they must be the tourists.
12 comments:
OOhh, do I envy you! I hope every New York minute delights you. I can't wait to read more of your impressions...sure loved this post.
thanks lydia - i am having a blast here :)
Hey, you're here in NYC? We could do some sort of blogger, hang-out thingy what-have-you!
I don't about New Yorkers being polite. I think that was one small instance or glimpse out of the big picture. That politeness is certainly not there all the time. Have fun in your visit.
You write so well, I was right there with you. Feeling the sun shine...seeing the lights flashing...connecting with the people, loving those possible husbands taking those ten steps, garbage can to garbage can...
laughing smiling at the young dancing teen enjoying life.
Wow
Continue to enjoy
Continue to share
Thanks
Remember to look UP
New York is so tall!
A refreshing picture of NYCity. I didnt know it was so clean. Nor polite. But I havent been there for many yrs. Enjoy the many delights it offers. Thanks for the tour. I lost you for awhile as I hadnt changed the address but now I've go it right. Be well, Suki
Fantastic description - though i was worried about "a man walking with a big fat pretzel" - did he have it on a lead or was it running free?
Seriously - have a great time :)
Wish I would've spent more time just people watching when I was in NYC. That's the luxury of having some time to yourself when on vacation. Which is something everyone should do. Can't wait to hear about the maritimes.
Thanks for taking us along for a moment. The best kind of postcard.
M
oh...would love to know the details about those past-potential-husbands...was it their laugh? their gait? was it a baby in their arms? what made them look like "good" husbands?
great post!
thanks for journeying with me all! Yes, NY is SOOO tall. I have never seen anything like it - even in all my travels to Rome, Paris, London ... it is indeed unique. I felt like every corner was a movie set! *mo - you make me laugh. the potential husbands looked, well - reliable and handsome - but without taking themselves too seriously, you know? like they were wearing good shoes, but didn't wear too much hair product ;) and they carried umbrellas ... cause they were practical. things like that :)
How nice you could come see and enjoy NYC
See it for yourself
Feel it for yourself
It’s an experience like no other
And the people…
The people of NY come from the four corners of the earth
They fit together like a jigsaw
And compliment the “home grown” folks like no where else.
I don’t get to the city much anymore
It’s now a three-hour drive from where I live
But as a child and young adult – NYC was my playground
And I have not forgotten
The feeling
The excitement
The way everyone, no matter how “deviant” from the norm
Seems to fit right in
Bobb - that was exactly how I felt. Like everyone could fit in this city. I can't wait to come visit again.
Post a Comment