Friday, July 18, 2008

Fresh Purpose

In order to better my own art (and just because I find it interesting), I like to talk to other folks about their own creativity process in whatever art they work in – whether it be photography, sculpture, design or theatre.

A sort of creative cross-training, so to speak.

A talented photographer that I know, Jonathan (check out his website), posed an interesting question to me over coffee the other day. I shared how I occasionally struggle with the fact that I don’t have any formal education in creative writing. For the most part, it doesn't bother me, as I know the key to being a good writer is … well – writing … but sometimes I wonder if it’s possible to find my own voice without studying the voices of great writers in detail.

He responded, “Well, maybe to find your voice, you need to ask yourself – what do you want to bring to the world through your writing?”

I didn’t have an answer.

I value my writing. I honor the writing process and what it brings me. But, it hadn’t occurred to me that I could bring something to the greater world through that process. That what the audience gets from my writing doesn’t have to be an unintended consequence, but something planned and strived for.

In the visual arts world, they call it an “artist’s statement”. In the business and social service world, we call it a “vision”. In planning my own consulting business, I worked hard on a set of values and a mission statement. And yet, for my writing – which is infinitely more valuable to me – I did no such thing.

I took time to think about it. More than a week.

And the answer? Surprisingly simple and complex.

Resonance.

Through my writing, I want to bring to people the feeling that they belong. That their experience is a common one – beyond age, race and gender.

And that all of the things that come with being human – being vulnerable, scared, and uncertain – is not weak … but a valuable part of that human experience.

I’d be satisfied if my writing could bring this sense of belonging to people.

For with belonging, comes ownership.
And with ownership, comes opportunity for all of us to improve the world, recognizing there is a place for all of our talents.

There are a lot of great equalizers out there. I think art is one of them.
And I’m thrilled to discover my art can be part of that process.

12 comments:

human being said...

great question and great answer...

"Through my writing, I want to bring to people the feeling that they belong"

beautiful... yes when we feel we belong and our experiences are just human then we share more of them...
and
the more we share, the more we love each other, the more we feel responsilbe towards each other...

Lydia said...

Your art not only can be part of that process, it is. With this post, it is most definitely a quite *resonant* part of that process.

michael.offworld said...

I love how resonance happens when we learn how to walk in peace, alone and with each other.

I'm totally going to think about why I create now. Thanks.

M

Jon said...

resonance...

hmmmm...

If you feel discouraged
in the short time we have to share

know how my heart lept
at only the thought,

the resonance,
you felt like me.

When you said small words
the tone was in minor keys.

This is fact not fiction
for the first time in years.

================================

thanks so much for writing that letter for me... I got into the program... and got that job too... you've been so instrumental... come to see... that's a resonance too... forgive my being so self oriented and driven... wish I had some of that time back...

JP

Anonymous said...

beautifully written. i've penned many artist statements in my life, and even a few "personal vision/mission" statements for myself, but never have i allowed myself to "own", as you say so eloquently, my voice, my art & to believe that it is possible to move others with it. i have always second guessed the power of my creative spirit.

you've given me a lot to think about, thank you.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Art is something we can all respond to in some way or another, but you shouldn't be afraid to leap headlong into a story and see where it goes. One of my favourite quotes is Tolkien, when he says that roads are like a stream with its tributaries at each door and you have to be careful not to get swept away - but i think with creativity if you're having fun then that sense of fun comes through and that's what makes people feel they belong - that they're part of something bigger, if only for a short while

sukipoet said...

This is a thoughtful and insightful post. Resonance is something wonderful to give and create. I guess creating a "mission statement" can give focus and a sense of solidity to an art that to my mind does not have really in the end that much solidity. Resonance would come I think through the language and sentences and rhythms and less so through a preconceived Theme.

I think going to school for writing and/or reading the greats or any other writers one might do just because it is a passion rather than hoping to find something specific. Although many a time i have turned to favorite writers to see how they did things like dialogue for example. To help me get unstuck when I felt stuck. This is for fiction however, not non-fiction. I dont think I could make a statement re: my writing. and I'd have to dredge to find one for my visual things. So I am so interested in your process here and the conclusion you have found. Lovely.

Roxanne said...

HB - amazing all of the connections, isn't it? I guess upon reading your reflection I see my love of "community" in my writing purpose as well ... i should add it to my interests!

Lydia - thanks for your words and affirmation!

Michael - can't wait to hear the results of your reflections :)

Hopper - thrilled, thrilled, thrilled for your news ... i have no regrets about that time ... it was well spent:) ... joy and peace to you, always

Akula - what a lovely way to put it, "owning" it! you have given me lots to think about too ... so just returning the favor!

DFTP - yes, art can be fun! so easy to get caught up in the tortured artist stereotype. I'm trying to look at the joy and freeing spirit of being an artist ...

Suki - thanks for your thoughts ... yes, that was it. I didn't want something too *structured* and that's why resonance really sat well with me. i'm glad that you are with me in this journey Suki!

SHUBHAJIT said...

good thoughts..writing for me is to free myself...i don't care whether people like it or not, or idetify it..i only pen down words from my heart..thats only give me immense satisfaction

Roxanne said...

Welcome Shubhaji! I think that is a wonderful place to write from ... I will definitely have to check out your blog when I return from my trip (travelling right now) ... but I did love those pictures of the Himalayas you have on your blog. i am heading to Nepal next November, and my good friends said that I can't go to Nepal without dropping by India first :)

Anne-Marie said...

Honour, this is wonderful! I'm so glad you found the purpose of your writing. I know I'm going to read this post over and over again. I write for a living, I write a blog and I write a journal, so you could say writing is some thing of an obsession with me. But honestly, I've never wondered much about my purpose in writing. Thanks for provoking my thoughts, and good luck with your future purposeful writing!
Rangimarie,
Anne-Marie

Tina Hunter said...

Thank you Honour. This post was wonderful.

I think anyone would wish that their writing would "resonate". But I loved specifically your comments on belonging. With your background I can see where "beyond age, race and gender" would come from.

My only hope is that I make people think with my writing. That I touch on topics that perhaps they thought unwelcome to mainstream... and maybe they are... but I hope that those who read my work think about these topics from another view point and maybe realize some insight into the "sameness" of the human race.

Similar end result, different approach.

I hope all our works resonate at some point.