I have a huge family. My mother has nine brothers and sisters and my dad has eight. So, you can imagine how many first cousins I have. And we're close. All of us.
Growing up, this could sometimes be difficult. I'd see my family at least once - if not five - times a month for some family occasion. As a teenager, I wondered when I would ever get a weekend to myself! But, as the years have gone on, I'm grateful for the support my family members provide ... and what better place to use support than for resolutions!
Of course, my family members don't provide support the regular way. We are a creative bunch. So, we decided to model our own reality TV show. A supportive (not cut throat) - reality TV show.
The goal: being healthy (aka weight loss).
The incentive: money and maybe family pride?
I know more than most people about healthy living. I've worked in chronic disease prevention for years. When I first started working in the field, I probably lost 30 pounds just from learning to adopt simple healthy behaviors. But, then a previous stressful job had me skipping lunches and eating dinner at 9pm at night. I quit the job, but still haven't gotten back to my former healthy self.
I try to remind myself of future heart disease, high blood pressure etc. etc. ... but it wasn't enough motivation for me.
And then I realized, money would be.
So, here's the deal:
9 of my family members (cousins and siblings) throw money into a pot, either 100 or 200 dollars.
We each also give 10 dollars to a "bonus prize".
We weigh ourselves on March 1.
And we each have our individual weight loss goals between 10-20 pounds.
IF you meet your goal in six months, you get your money back!
If you don't, your other family members get the money.
Plus, the person who loses the most body percentage of their weight gets the bonus prize.
When I first thought of the contest, it was the money that I thought would be the motivation.
When you know a second helping might cost you 200 dollars - the cost of a weekend trip ... a writing workshop ... a pair of strappy summer sandals and a pedicure (hey, we all have our vices, ok?) I knew I would think twice about that second helping.
But, I find what I'm looking forward to is knowing that I have eight other family members trying to achieve the same goal.
In my field of health promotion, we are always learning about the incredible power of "social support" ... but wow-ee. I can feel its power now.
Tomorrow is Day One of my Six Month Challenge. It will be fun :)
(however, I am still going to have my piece of apple pie tonight. Maybe two!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
what a delightful post... being together... decisions... and struggling...
you are really wise to write about it... when we write about our plans, our determination is increased...
keep my fingers crossed for you, Roxanne...
and please leave the second piece of apple pie in the garden for the crow...
:)
the first day is very important... if you don't appear self-assured, it might be more difficult to maintain it later...
;)
you ARE strong... i know...
I love this! What a wonderful idea. What a wonderful family! This all makes me really happy that I recently promised my cousin, who lives in Bend, Oregon, that I will definitely drive over the mountains and see her this summer. Her husband died last year and she seemed really excited with my promise. Cousins are wonderful friends. I wish you and yours a fun contest. (I just might use this as incentive to begin yoga again on Mar. 1).
Wow, what a creative family! Good luck, Honour. You'll be posting updates for us? [Hint hint]
Hi Honour - please accept my apologies for the gap in comments.
Your post reminded me of one of my all time favourite songs - a Talking Heads song called "Found A Job"
It's all based on the idea of a family that gets bored of having nothing to talk about and nothing on TV so starts making their own programmes and in the process re-discover their relationships and are very successful. xx
Yeah, this is, like, totally way past the cut off date for the weight thingy. I know. Please forgive me in the tardiness. I may not always comment right away, but I will always comment.
So, how did the whole thing go for you guys? Who won?
That's great that you have that social support and closeness in your family. For some people, that's really all they could ask for in life.
No, wait, read that wrong. Six months. Sorry. I've never had a good sense of time =*(
Thanks dear Crow :) It's true what they say about "saying your goals" out loud. This is one of my many goals this year! I'll let you know how things proceed.
Lydia - let me know how the trip goes! I hope the yoga has begun for you :)
anne-marie - updates? oh yeah. people are gonna be sick and tired of my updates!
DFTP - no worries! I understand. ha ha, i like the song premise. this is better than watching tv, eh?
Samurai - no, not too late :) you are right about the closeness in my family. i am indeed lucky. i'm even sending them tips ... (look at me, if I was really competitive, I would give them BAD tips!) ha ha.
Post a Comment