I'm having a hard time with this latest writing challenge of mine.
First of all, there is no way I can write 500 words in 20 minutes.
500 good words, that is.
But, my writing colleagues expressed similar experiences, so we changed the rules so that each piece has 400-500 words instead of having a time limit. And because it's a writing exercise (not a competition), we figured that we wouldn't be concerned with the final product but focus on the process of what evolves in the short writing time (usually under an hour).
Secondly, flash fiction is difficult. Conflict is what pulls a reader in. How does one create and resolve conflict in 500 words? I entered a piece in a flash fiction contest once. I spent hours on the piece, carefully crafting the placement of each word. It's like poetry that way - each word carries more currency.
Thirdly, I am having a dilemna writing about sin. It's so broad. Generic. It's the ultimate of tests -- to take a worldly evil and narrow it to a point where you can partake in it for only 500 words? I find myself having to visualize it more like a biopsy. Take a sliver of the evil, place it on the microscope and focus on it so it until it becomes a world of its own, a story that wraps around your consciousness.
Of course, some of the modern sins (i.e. social injustice, pollution) are things I feel so strongly about that it's hard for me not to rant. Or bring the evil-doers to justice. What better way to ruin a good piece of writing? To be excessively moralistic. Or to keep using adverbs like "excessively".
I didn't think the piece below was quite ready for publication ... barely over 200 words and not concise. And, I wasn't sure if apathy qualified as a sin, but my friend explained that "apathy" can be translated also as "sloth".
To be honest, I *accidentally* posted the piece below -- it was supposed to go on my personal blog with my writing circle. Oops! Good exercise in humility though. Might as well put the rough stuff out in the blogging world as well.
Wish me luck for the next one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I always think that the important thing with rules is to know which ones you can break and which ones you can bend.
I liked the piece on apathy - it had a nice air of futility to it.
Once i've finished my serial story i will dedicate an evening to thinking about and writing for this myself sometime in the next week: though i will probably stick with the original seven, as i'm not really into re-branding!
HOnor, I quite enjoyed your apathy piece. But I do have to chuckle that you posted it by accident!! It sounds like an interesting writing experiment you are engaged in. Thanks for sharing it with us, even if by accident.
I just glanced again an your apathy story and read your comment to me. I think you did an excellent job of bringing the quality of apathy to life via character and dialogue. You did not do what you feared you might: rant and proselytize. I also do not think there is one objective truth. There are many truths and many facets to things. We only see one or two at a time. Tomorrow we may see one or two other facets thus seem to contradict ourselves. It's very interesting to observe this in myself. Good luck with your writing. Instead of kudos I send you grudos which is my word verification word today.
When thinking of it as a worldly evil, yes, that could be quite the task to tackle in 500 words. Instead, think of a character. Any character, even yourself. And think of one sin.
As far as the evil-doers to justice thing, I completely understand. But try not to think of them in terms of evil/good, and more of in terms of this person/that person. Give the bad guy a good quality and vice versa for the hero.
These are my suggestions.
Or I should say, try to understand why the evil-doers....you know.....evil does.
DFTP - I look forward to seeing what you create!
Suki - I've been thinking about this ... not wanting to "rant". I think that's why I'm attracted to long fiction instead of short fiction - more "space" to create subtleties ...! Grudos to you too!
Clandestine - great suggestions, I'm going to try and use them - especially as I have five days left in my challenge - that means a sin a day!
I loved the way you talked to yourself and to us in this post. But not excessively so! :)
Post a Comment