my writing isn’t me
it guides me
shelters me
shows me to myself when I am lost
but my writing is not me
it is a thread woven into the fabric of my day
it is the dye that colors the hue of what I love, what I hate
the catalyst that helps an emotion become a thought
or a thought become a passion
and if my words are not me
if you do not know me
from reading the words on this page
what would I suggest you do to
know the real me?
listen to me laugh?
watch my face while I watch the daily news?
scan my grocery list?
my writing is a portait of
the whim of an emotion
the wisps of my hopes
the whispers of my rationale
my writing is a moment
of my reality or
imagined reality
but my writing is not me
(inspired by an August posting by Serenity Tide)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hey Honour - great to have you back and blogging again!
I loved the poem - especially:
it is a thread woven into the fabric of my day
it is the dye that colors the hue of what I love, what I hate
I see what you're saying here - that any specific thing you write can be an expression of a thought and though whilst it is born from you it is not the whole of you.
BTW: Philip K Dick wrote "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" (Filmed as Blade Runner), "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" (Total Recall), A Scanner Darkly - but for his really wierd stuff try his short stories
Yes, well put. but wouldnt we know a bit of you from the words you chose to use, the ideas you put forth, the rhythms of the phrases and words? From the fact that you chose to express yourself in words. And also that you chose to share these expressions?? Be well, HOnor
O, what an interesting angle in which to view writing and writers. This is quite profound, Honour!
I wandered in to your blog today, from a road I couldn't retrace if I tried...clicking links to people and their thoughts and ponderings like opening doors and stepping through.
I'm glad I'm hear.
Let me first say that I agree with Sukipoet. Let me secondly say that I've read "A Scanner Darkly", and that book was awesome. Let me thirdly say that sometimes, people pick traits of you they see and interpret for themselves, then compile them and say for themselves that that's the real you.
This seems like a good connection to make after reading your post:
"Much of a monk's life is spent in silence. Much of a poet's life is spent in silence, too -- a poet spends a fraction of his time actually writing poems. Merton was both a monk and a poet, and thus well-acquainted with silence. Like meditation, and like prayer, poetry is surrounded by silence. Poetry begins and ends in silence. Silence is also inherent within a poem, like the silences between notes in music. As the great Chinese poet Yang Wan-li said, a thousand years ago, "A poem is made of words, yes, but take away the words and the poem remains."" [borrowed from http://www.jademountains.net/take-away-words]
No, your writing is not you...You are YOU! And I like the YOU I read in your writing even if IT isn't YOU!!!!
It's good writing, descriptive writing, story telling writing, poetic writing, and good prose!
PIXIE-fellow: I will absolutely go check out those short stories you recommend. I loved all those movies!
SUKI - you are right ... and I liked SAMURAI's twist on things -- that sometimes it is the reader that creates the fiction too :) and I like how LYNN decides to like no matter what it is that is created between the writer, the words, the pages and the reader.
MICHAEL and LYDIA - thanks for your words ... and welcome LADYBUG!
the line that I choose...
Watch me as I watch the daily news...
Killer, that, Hon...
Till soon...
JP
Post a Comment