calling, calling
I have heard
the whispers too long
deaf to their demands
they shift their form to
rustling of the grass through my fingertips
crunching of broken leaves under my steps
and I remember
I’ve missed listening
truths they speak
power of expression
humility of a gift
challenge of capturing
that one moment
that one breath
chiding, chiding
bestowing a blessing
a responsibility
creation
create
care
about the calling
that I alone cannot answer
until my words connect to
another
and complete
their purpose
so I can complete mine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
This made me think of that line in Paul Simon's The Sound Of Silence: People talking without speaking/people hearing without listening
Also - there's so many mixed emotions that can run through us that we can't express - looking to connect.
What i love about your poems is that the language is so emotionally charged. Great stuff xx
This actually reminded me of "The Happening" directed by M. Night Shyamalan. I'm not going to go into explanation because I don't want to ruin the movie and I may have already said too much.
But what's being expressed here is (very) generally the positive version of that story.
Oh, wow. I read your poem earlier today in the midst of the hustle and bustle of a busy hour, and realized I must return in the quiet of the night to savor it. This is very special, Honour.
DFTP likened it to The Sounds of Silence, most excellent tie-in. When we were in NYC we heard two young men do The SOS right in the subway when we were waiting for the train. Now that's a moment I'll never forget, a real connection...like your poem.
(come over to my blog for another idea for your trip)
Lovely poem. I can't help but think you are referring to nature and how for so long you did not hear nature's sounds and calls but now yes though this is nothing until you connect with another But most likely way off here.
Congrats on the wonderful review of your blog over at Do You Digg It!
"I've missed listening"--I love that--how wonderful the crunching of leaves under my steps...but how often do I think of it? Like yesterday, that rain smell I love so much, but how much rain has fallen since I last bothered to smell it?
Honour, thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a wonderful comment for my students! It's appreciated.
I then visited yours and was given my second treat on a Friday morning-- the first being your surprise visit to our blog here in 8th grade.
I have added yours as a favorite to mine. I love to be given ideas to think about, and your blog looks to be exactly that!
Thanks again!!
Mmmmmmmm
How connected this feels
Right from the earth
to the body
to the spirit
to the thought
to the written word
purpose completing
Always resonating
It has been SO interesting to read these comments. My poem had a specific meaning in mind when I wrote it, but upon hearing people's interpretations - it has been interesting to see how my words carry another layer of meaning that rings true for me, but perhaps I didn't initially intend (though maybe subconsciously?)
DFTP - thanks ... isn't it funny? i used to be so mad at my emotionality - it's nice to use it as a gift!
Samurai - you've convinced me to go rent / see this movie at the cheap theatre
Suki - no suki, dear you are not way off. actually, the poem was about how listening in nature inspired me to write when i first started to take writing in seriously. it's what inspires me most, if i'm having a "dry spell" - so you are close :) and of course, my gift of writing, while it's lovely to do in isolation - it really means nothing to me, until it touches another ...
Lydia - THANK YOU for recommending for my blog to be reviewed :)
Yoga - welcome to the site! I know what you mean. We must make - create - time - space to listen. Otherwise, the moments slip past our fingers!
Ms.B - I'm glad you could stop by. I SO enjoyed coming to your site. I will come by again once school is in full swing.
Bobb - :) you understand how it's one big circle for me .. all connected ...i am lucky to see these connections am I not ? i feel quite blessed!
subtle but expressive...
wow this is a very touching poem! i havent written one in ages and i can say this is just inspiring..
thanks for your comments shubhajit and atomicvelvetsigh -- look forward to dropping by your sites!
I love how the words roll perfectly when read out loud. I too believe that we all serve a purpose in the lives of those we encounter, and vise versa. Well written!
Post a Comment