I've always grown up thinking of my home city as this little town in the middle of the prairies. Our population of one million people seemed so small compared to the busy cities all over the world. I remember looking in awe around Lima, Peru thinking "this single city has a third of Canada's population."
The great thing about Canada though, is the diversity of cultures. Despite our rustic reputation, one of the most attended festivals in Edmonton is "Heritage Days". Cultural community associations gather and use the opportunity to proudly demonstrate their heritage. Each country has a tent where they sell some of their most tempting wares - art, clothes, jewellery and of course - their mouthwatering food. (This is where you learn that people universally love fried dough or meat on a stick). Most countries also have a stage where they demonstrate the music, song and other forms of performance art from their cultures.
The great thing about Canada though, is the diversity of cultures. Despite our rustic reputation, one of the most attended festivals in Edmonton is "Heritage Days". Cultural community associations gather and use the opportunity to proudly demonstrate their heritage. Each country has a tent where they sell some of their most tempting wares - art, clothes, jewellery and of course - their mouthwatering food. (This is where you learn that people universally love fried dough or meat on a stick). Most countries also have a stage where they demonstrate the music, song and other forms of performance art from their cultures.
I've been going to this festival since I was a little girl. It's the only one I never grow tired of. There are always new people coming to Canada and cultures re-discovering aspects of their heritage and integrating them with the new. This year, I got to hear rap in Swahili! Our festival boasted a new number of pavilions - 52 countries represented here in our city.
What a wonderful celebration!
Collective Heritage
searing August sun
trampled grass
hazy orange light that slips
through tarps to fall in strips
on wares carved
by distant hands in skilled lands
all senses assaulted by a
cacophany of delights
the thundering seducing beat of drums
challenged by soft powdery promise of
sweet sugar dust, melting on warm dough
boistorous shouts of rosy-cheeked dancers
and the elegant art of orient assaults
overwhelming
intoxicating
familiar
this messy mosaic of Canada
14 comments:
DFTP - you probably can't see it in the picture, but the picture on the bottom, left hand side, is the "England" pavilion. I got a big kick out of it, because to give it the English feel, the pavilion brought dozens and dozens of flowering plants and put them all around their pavilion.
It got rave reviews this year! I guess English gardens have a reputation!!
Splendid!
What a fine Mosaic indeed
The distant hands from skilled lands
Come together as one
To celebrate
In joy
Lovely festival. Thanks for sharing. Love your poem too, the rhythm just takes me there with the dancing and music and fun.
Fifty-two countries represented is absolutely wonderful. What a glorious festival and thank you for taking me there. Portland, OR, has a World Beat Festival that is a mini version of what you describe. When my mother and I visited Canada, Calgary to Vancouver, I was so thrilled with the diversity. I loved your country and found the stats in relation to Lima remarkable.
Poem: sparkling. "by distant hands in skilled lands" -- how great is that line!
The drums beating as I eat sugar-dusted warm dough feels like a relaxing experience. Is that people with kendo suit and kendo sticks in the upper row, middle picture? I should've came and shown them how it's done, as I am the true Clandestine Samurai!*
*Please ignore random drivel
Honour - we do like our gardens...though the tradition of the nicely maintained front garden is sadly vanishing in England, thanks to the requirement for parking that second or third car. I love the photos and the poem - have you ever gone to any open-mic nights or sent any off? I think an audience would really like your stuff.
The diversity of our cultures & communities I think is such a positive thing.It is somewhat the same in Australia, though mainly in the capital cities, especially Sydney & melbourne. The harsh interior offers way too many challenges for MOST people, least of all, new arrivals.
It is such a special occasion when the diversity AND the sameness is celebrated.
Where I live, there is very little cultural diversity apart from a healthy hippy/alternate presence....it's called the Rainbow Region! But I do miss the diversity & influences that other cultures bring to a community.
No, Honour, I don't sell my jewellery on-line...I know I should make an attempt to do so, but sadly I lack a great deal of confidence & am not great at 'putting myself out there'!
Me again....forgot to say i LOVE your last line...'this messy mosaic of Canada'.
Honor, thanks for responding to my blog post re: the will. I have deleted the post, just because I felt my brother might come upon it and be hurt. So I'm thanking you here for sharing your story and empathizing with mine. Ah will. Take care, Suki
it is nice to hear something called heritage festival..we all should proud of our heritage..I am from India and diversity of our country is unparalleled but as a matter of the fact we don't properly understand our heritage..Your writing is informative as well as inspiring
Bobb - so glad you enjoyed! it is always a joyous weekend whenever we have this festival
Suki - I always have fun. Even if I get sick the next day from all the doughnuts and sugar and mixing of foods!
Lydia - oh.... a World Beat festival! That sounds fun. Maybe I can work it into a holiday sometime.
Clandestine - it was relaxing, and indeed it is Kendo. I picked up a brochure on it, as it interested me. They offer classes - I thought about it, but have to be careful about taking on another activity as I'm just starting to get good at kickboxing. Your "random drivel" totally made me laugh, though. I love the whole samurai culture ... there is this young adult book out about two girls who disguise themselves so they can train as samurai. I was so mad --- I wanted to write that book!!!
DFTP - thanks for the compliment. I have done some open mic stuff and sent away some of my works - but my prose work only. I don't quite consider myself a poet, yet. But I think I'm getting better with this encouraging community and all...
Cabacurl - ah yes, but hippies can still add great diversity :) I would think Australia would be very similar to canada in the make-up and all - us being such young colonies ...
shubhajit - welcome, welcome! I found your blog enchanting and will come by and visit some more
@the picture of the GTA 4 cake (not pictured above): Lmao.
I love festivals like that! Nashville has something similar each year, though not as grand. I bet they had some awesome Cape Breton fiddle playing there, and all of the handmade items! Love the dancers and music of many cultures! Wonderful poem, like I had been there. Infinite blessings!
a great tradition
great shots
and a great poem... feeding all our senses... taking us into the festival...
as beautiful as a mosaic artwork... one of my favorite styles...
namaste!
Post a Comment