On March 31st, I had to wait in line for ninety minutes to buy over a thousand dollars worth of bus tickets for our youth programs.
March 31st is the last day of the fiscal year for most non-profit agencies in my province. For certain, I wasn’t the only one that day ensuring all of their allocated budget had been spent, so that the government didn’t come and take it back.
I had already bought five hundred dollars worth of office supplies, file folders and (my favorite!) disposable cameras for a group therapy project for some of our youth. Of course, it didn’t occur to me that those who have no disposable income – who get their disability checks or pensions on a monthly basis – have to always wait to the last minute to buy their bus passes. An eye opener for me. And a resulting long wait at the central transit station.
But you know what struck me most as I wandered about town?
The number of people out there, doing all a whole variety of things in the daytime - when I am usually sequestered away, working in my office.
I had to cut through city hall to get to the transit station and a visiting choir from South Africa was rehearsing on the main steps.
A local TV station was interviewing folks about springtime on the street corner.
The coffee shop across the street, attached to our main library, was packed with Edmontonians of all ages and genders and nationalities. Some conversing, others reading the paper or just listening to music.
And, then of course, all of us waiting in line. An elderly man behind me whistled an intricate tune, with verses, chorus and a bridge, happily behind me. For at least forty minutes.
How appropriate to have this day about town … especially since on the way to work that morning, I scoffed out loud at a radio station's ad that tried to sell itself. Their take? "Tune into us, it makes the day go by quickly.” A woman, one of their listeners, piped in cheerily, “When I listen to this radio station, next thing I know, it's the end of the day!"
End of the day? Who wants to live a life like that? That you want time to rush by instead of appreciating the course it runs through your life. Idealistic? Perhaps. But, who says we aren’t supposed to live life like that? Aspiring to be in each moment, rather than just tolerating it.
There are things to be tolerated, indeed – like teeth cleanings, soggy french fries, or aunts who ask me why I’m not married yet. But not the minutes of a day.
That was one thing I vowed – as I wrote this piece, standing in line, scribbling in my notebook, professional whistler behind me – that I would take some kind of action should I ever find myself wanting the day to pass me by without engaging in it.
Yes, I may be romantic or impractical. But I'd rather carry these faults then be ... too tolerant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Honour,
This is such a descriptive post. You brought to life the dozens of scenes you enjoyed while out of the office. When I left work in 2000 this was something that struck me: life is happening, has been happening all around me. What you wrote reminded me of a rictameter poem written this week by Marlys on my blogroll. The link -
http://seniormemoirs.blogspot.com/2008/06/rictameter-of-day-instant-everything.html
Think I'll whistle a tune as I get ready for bed now!
-Lydia
i'm sorry - must stop putting links in comment boxes. the remainder of the link to Marlys' poem is -(of day)-instant-everything.html
Right from 8am on Monday the first thing people talk to me about is "soon be Friday". We live for the weekend, aware that we are wishing our lives away but powerless to change.
I read your words and could almost see the things that you saw - its great to step out of the norm and enjoy the sights around us. Though when, as so many of us are, you spend your life doing routine tasks, it can be hard.
Reading your description of the small pockets of life around you brought a bit of colour back to my own email-saturated day and for that i send my love and thanks xx
Slow to find
You're stuck in time
Prison mind bleeding
Slow to find
You're stuck in time
Confidence
Always fleeting
I applaud you
Standing up
Taking ALL your moments
Good and bad
Still feeling their worth
Honor! When you slow down and engage in life it all becomes so lovely and worth it. It does sadden me to think people can't wait to get to the end of their days.
Those things we must tolerate, we can move through with as much speed as life will allow, but that also gives us time to slow down and enjoy the little things. I believe what happens is we get so used to moving fast or so used to being pushed to go faster, we forget the importance of slowing down.
Then there are those of use who do slow down only to be yelled at for not moving fast enough.
I completely agree with you, though!
and you say you are the west wind
of everyday life
and you like no drama
just being present, eh?
and i say you are the east wind
learned to flow like the west wind...
bringing thunderstorms in our routine thoughts
but not so dramatic to ruin our peace
:)
storms are good and life-giving
without them we couldn't enjoy our being...
Roxanne really enjoyed reading this enlightening writing with that sarcastic undertone...
i like the way east and west winds flow in your writings...
love your balance...
namaste!
There is a theme of tolerance
Running across the pages lately…
Even the West wind
Wants what it wants
You will take a few stands I’m sure
As I’ve noted before
I can see
You have the courage
That’s very good
But even better
Is your sense of
Awareness
So precious…
Now I have lived long enough
To know
That being romanctic is not a fault
It does however
Come with a price…
To live in the moment and know each one is singular and precious seems practical to me, rather than romantic.
Roxanne I posted a photo of the rhododendron bush in full bloom on my blog. You had asked me awhile back to do so when it blooms.
Note: Kim's interview with me will air on KIms blog tomorrow, Wednesday. kim-creatingspace.blogspot.com
Be well and enjoy the moments.
Lydia -- ah, yes! Life is happening. Always has been, always will be. Now, the trick is to live one's life according to that reality ... thanks for the link to the poem - a real gem!
DFTP - it always brings me such joy to hear when my little observations bring something to someone's day. so, thanks for letting me know ... if you only knew how much color your note had brought to my day!!
Bobbb - mmmm... taking all of the moments is hard ... I try. being romantic does have its price. what do you think? worth it? and even if it wasn't - not sure if that could even be changed ...
HB - ahhhh, you see right through me, dear crow. i am the east wind turned west. i am mariann and elinor. i am calm and a torrent of emotion. i am, i am, i am. but, you say, i am balanced, and that brings me great hope ;) YAY!
Kim - LOL. oh yes, I have been had my share of complaints for being too slow. or late. or not wearing a watch :)
Suki - welcome back. .... ohhhh - singular. I like that word. It's like being eccentric without the stigma!
Oh yes, the joy of a life lived slowly, but more difficult to do if you are working in a normal regular-type job ( whatever that is) I think.
When i was a worker, how I counted down minutes till my next break, days till the weekend and weeks till holidays.( I didn't like the job...does it show??)
Now that I'm retired, there are not enough minutes, days & weeks to fit in all I'd like to do.
Honor, I knew kd came from Canada but nothing more. Do you sing as wonderfully as she does? ;-)
He he
As far as being romantic is concerned
No you can't change that - at least I couldn't.
Was a time I might have said it was not worth the price
Now I know better
In fact I feel sorry for those who are not romantically inclined
How much of life they miss
How mundane their lives must be
For every broken heart, every setback, every sorrow you endure there will be corrosponding wisdom and joy to gain - if you look for it.
Perhaps not everyone is up to it
But you, young Roxanne, you are well prepared.
You don't get the view from the mountain top, if you don't make the climb
Cabacurl - now that you're retired, there's not enough time, you say ... see, that's how I'd like to feel now, even when I'm *not* retired! Ah, and I'm not singing in the picture, just telling a story :)
Bobb -- see, I have always said it is better to be romantic ... but it's nice to hear that from someone else besides me ! ha ha. i appreciate the encouragement for the climbing of the mountains ... :)
Being romantic = idealistic? Yes. The romantics are the only ones that push humanity forward. Not the realists, who settle for the way things are. Of course, being a romantic subjects one to more emotional hurt than others.
Trying to live out and enjoy each moment of everyday, even when it's being tolerable of/having patience something undesirable is a good and valid way to approach things. It'd bring a certain sense of fulfillment for the most part. But I believe it should also be balanced with practicality.
*having patience with. Sorry.
My god Honour! You are a poet! This bodes so well for our project. We will write such beautiful work that no-one will notice, until the end, what it was all about!
Then the discussions will begin in earnest.
hi honour, just dropping in from "the life dynamic". nice blog!
your comment:
"The number of people out there, doing all a whole variety of things in the daytime" never ceases to amaze me, too (and then i realize that just being there, i AM one of those people! haha!)
Post a Comment