Sunday, January 13, 2008

Doing the Zen-Plow

I went cross-country skiing Friday afternoon. (There is one benefit to working overtime in non-profits. If you know how to prioritize balance, you can take advantage of sunny afternoons when nothing urgent is pressing).

Tried out my new skis for the second time ... unexpectedly asked to conquer hills.

I never skiied as a child or youth. In fact, I never engaged in serious physical activity until I was maybe 27. I liked cross-country skiing, but the last time I tried to go down hills, I consistently fell every three meters or swerved into the trees.

I got expert help this time around -- but I realized the trick was to "be in the moment."

Yes, yes, I know I say it all the time ... but holy batman, it really works for skiing. Don't look down. Don't see how much further you have to go. Don't wonder if you're gonna pick up speed or if you're gonna like it.

Just focus on the present, so that if you swerve -- you correct now -- this very second -- when it's happening -- instead of panicking much too late, after you're already flying into the trees.

It works, this zen stuff. I suppose that's why it works for life too.

No comments: