It was June 24, 2009.
Summertime was starting to roll in and I was excited.
I got on a plane and travelled Eastwards - I had a road trip planned for the breathtaking Maritime coast of Canada. I had successfully lost all of the weight I needed to for my own reality-show healthy living competition with my nine relatives, and I intended to enjoy all the lobster I could over the next 18 days. When was the last time I had a real holiday, I asked myself?
June 26, 2009 - I checked my blackberry.
My two friends, Eileen and Billie, emailed me. We collaborated on "Seven Deadly Sins" together, our anthology of flash fiction, and we had just pitched another project to our publisher, Brian. An anthology of four novellas around the theme of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. We asked another writer, Ryan, to join us in this venture and the plan was for each of us to write a novella.
"We are in." Eileen wrote.
Our publisher, Brian, not only wanted to publish the project, he wanted to publish it and launch it at the next World Fantasy Conference. Incredible exposure to publishers, editors, agents. October 31.
WHAT?
It meant the stories had be in perfect order by September 1 to be sent to the printers.
It meant I had to write the complete draft of the novella by August 1.
It meant that since I had written all of ZERO words, I had to start writing the moment I got that email.
But ... I was on holidays!
And I didn't have a laptop with me!
And I had never written a novella before. Ever.
... and hence this is why I have not posted an update in a very long time ...
Stay tuned to hear what happened ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad to hear your writing is going so well - might have some news on that front meself soon :)
Wailing away at those horsewomen, huh? Hmm, I'd like to read those novellas.
Post a Comment