Ingredients:
- 4 inspiring and collaborative co-writers
- 1 talented illustrator
- 1 supportive and insightful publisher
Sift these and mix slowly with:
- 8 quirky stories
- an eye-catching cover
- a network of interested speculative fiction fans
Let mixture stand in a pleasant, sunny room above the library, near the neighborhood farmer's market.
Throw in an assortment of deliciously home-baked goods, coffee and refreshments; beautiful flower arrangements (generously donated by friends); a selection of excellent illustrations and art; and a display of Canada's leading speculative fiction magazine, On Spec.
A dash of good media coverage including a videographer whose camera and microphone allow the rising of profiles.
Invite friends, family, colleagues and people off the street.
Don't forget a generous dose of gratitude for friends, family and spouses who helped with set-up and clean-up.
Warm mixture for three hours on a Saturday afternoon, and you will have a successful book launch!
***
In a nutshell, it was a fantastic book launch.
Thanks to those who were able to come out. And for those who couldn't, I hope you'll buy the book online and perhaps, even write a review on the website!
Check out the video coverage (a ten part series) by D. Jeffrey Buchanan, an exceptional documentarian and host of a radio show on CJSR here in Edmonton. He does great work and you should check out some of his other pieces too.
It was loads of fun to have people from different corners of my universe (i.e. work, family, university friends) gather -- for writing is the one thing that crosses all of my different "worlds".
I guess you could say writing is my wormhole. It's what brings my worlds together.
And for all the 180 minutes of networking and visiting, I thought I did very well for an introvert (not liking to be the centre of attention) and a Pisces (always worried about how everyone else is doing).
I have to admit, I was tired after it all. But it was a satisfying tiring. Satisfying and surreal. I don't think the impact of this whole thing has really hit me until I posted this piece.
Isn't that funny - my book launch isn't a reality for me until I write about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
And beautifully written it is.
I am so happy for you! You must be both floating on a cloud, and bursting with pride! Bravo!!!!!
Hear my applause!
Take a bow!
;-)
This is so cool. Copy. Video. Sales links. You're a promotional wiz. I can't wait to see my copy of the book.
Honour, there is an award waiting for you on my blog today! Come get it when you have a minute.
(Sunday)
See - now you've had a slice of J.K. Rowling's life (when she isn't busy rolling in bundles of cash and laughing, that is)
Sometimes success comes to those who deserve it - and you deserve to continue to have it!
Dearest Lynn - thanks for your good wishes ... it's been a whirlwind of activity - and it's helped refocus my efforts. I appreciate your words!
Michael - you ordered a copy! Wow. A thousand thanks. Now, I'm waiting for my turn to order your book.
DFTP - my slice is very very thin. I'm laughing but only rolling on my carpet (notice the conspicuous absence of money). I'm still laughing though - and that's all that matters :) thanks ...
Wow, I am so excited for you! You deserve the attention.....your writing deserves the attention! A friend in my town has her first novel coming out in July. Title: The Crying Tree. Review here (scroll down to the 16th review or "Find" the title). Her book launch will be at Powell's Bookstore in Portland and I sure hope I get up the nerve to drive up there for it (it's the parking that I hate even more than the freeway).
What with the two of you being published I'm aware that I have such talented writer friends!
Well done Roxanne
I am proud, enlightened, and inspired
All at once
Edmonton is lucky to house you
The world is lucky to have you
I'm not around as much as I would like to be
But I am watching
And I am pleased
wow!
congrats, Roxanne!
so happy you could do what you decided to do after leaving your previous job... i remember you wrote you want to do more writing...
i'll go and check the links...
keep up the good job
hugs
HB - thanks so much :)
Bobb - it pleases me that YOU are pleased and to know you are still around
Lydia - thanks for the congratulations, I will also check out your friend's book too!
Post a Comment