When you first meet the refugee families I’ve worked with – these people who have been witness to horrors of war and unjust persecution – you start off silent. Afraid to ask the questions – and afraid to hear the answers – you offer a smile, a shared laugh, a face to recognize when they step through the doors. And that’s how the relationship begins.
Silence is key.
It gives them space to share their story. Not the politics, not the religion, not the sequence of national events. But the who, what and where of the territory in their heart.
My co-workers and I are sometimes entrusted with this history. We honor it, cradle it respectfully in our consciousness and live the story again with them, sometimes with tears, sometimes with pride.
I no longer see a Sudanese mom, a Burmese father, or a Somalian teenager. I see questions – What was your journey here? Who are your loved ones? What brings you strength when you are weary? I see stories now, not people. Unheard, but not unwritten.
Then, there is always that one recounting that makes me realize I am no longer just holding their story. I am changed.
As my own days at my agency draw to a close, I have been able to put aside the timesheets, invoices and cashflows and return to how I was during my first months there. If someone walked through my door, I’d turn away from the computer and the list of tasks and the two-week-old messages-yet-unreturned and stop to listen to the person in front of me.
When I started, I knew it was the only way to learn anything. And, now that I am leaving, I remember it is still the only way to learn anything. And with the renewal of this practice, my spirit starts to move again.
The wise and experienced in my field – those who have sustained themselves over the years – have observed that every time we listen to those who have suffered and triumphed, it lights a flame within us … whether it be of compassion, horror, anger, or hope. If we do not do something with this heat and fire, we risk burning out.
Perhaps it is this blaze that I’ve been holding for so long that is moving, flickering again within. I’ve been stifling it under proposal deadlines and media releases and staff turnover. And, as I leave the agency – now that I have time and space – maybe this flame can be used for something. Many of my colleagues turn to policy change, activism, song, dance – some form of expression to reflect how our daily life has been transformed from hearing the words of these survivors.
I am overwhelmed by the simple moments from over the last two years that are suddenly revealing themselves as something more. These moments will transform themselves, I am sure. It’s the fire within that will help in its rebirth. Maybe into poems, blog postings, short stories, editorial letters or even an informal re-telling over coffee with a neighbour – or a politician.
It is not with an easy heart that I leave my agency to make space for my art, for my writing.
But I recognize by making space for my words, I’m making space for the words of the families I have worked with. These words that have left a loving mark on my living story.
And I realize – perhaps – I am not leaving the most important part of my work behind, after all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Honour,
It will be a crime to stop a river from flowing...
You are a river... moving and giving... you've passed by many lands, and lots of people have found you the best place to hide their sorrows and joys...
And same as a river, you have picked them all... carrying them with you...
The river carries many things with itself but not as a load to be muddy and undrinkable (just for a short time this may happen)...
The river dissolves the things it picks in itself... carrying them as a part of its being... and leaves some coarse ones behind to be dissolved through years... and moves on... always refreshing... always clear and transparent...
always giving life.
Think your leaving is like the movement of a river... you are flowing to other areas and people to feed them with what you have gained... to water more lands, plants -- minds...
And this is the nature of a river... you leave but you do not leave much behind; you carry them with you... in you...
Your past always flows into your future...
Your words both in poetry and prose... contain such wisdom, honesty and beauty that it would be a crime if anything or anyone stopped them from flowing...
The world needs your art... to know what's wrong with her.... to ponder upon her weaknesses... and to devise new ways to live by...
Just flow...
Honour,
What a beautiful post. I was wondering how I was going to express its power for me in the comment section. Then I read what Human Being wrote and do not believe that could be added to or improved upon. I'm so glad to have your blog as a touchstone in my day.
Lydia
Way to be
Roxanne
Way to be
Keep the simple moments
Take them with you
A simple thing
Silence
Yet it can elevate you
Open your eyes
Enlarge your world
And your perspective
Thus the flame
The fire within
Will not consume you
But rather
Will illuminate you
Already
I can see it
Way to be
Roxanne
Way to be
My transition to part-time work has been bumpy, but so worth it. I'm only able to give up a sliver of my working day to my art, but it's a happy start.
M
Just because of the way you are, how you think and how you listen and how you write, this part of your life that you may think you're leaving behind will always be with you and be a part of your life.
Honor, a beautiful story and thoughts. You express so well the nuances of your experience and feelings. And as Human Being so eloquently says, you will now flow into new experiences, new learnings. Many blessings to you on your new venture. Creative, caring, thoughtful and articulate, you have a shining path before you.
Dear Honour
Your posts are so interesting and thoughtful.
May I add you to my blog roll?
Greetings from Marrakech.
This really moved me
Knowledge, understanding, love - they are all like a flame and must be passed on to thrive, to shine a light in the darkness for us all xxx
HB - I love your analogy; a river being a place to hide sorrows and joy ...past flowing into future ...and recognizing the value of words ... thank you.
Bobb - I am *hoping* the flame within can illuminate
Michael - yes! a start is exactly all I seek
Hopper - thx for the reassurance, you know how important my days at the center have been for me ...
Suki - I appreciate your blessings and your words
elizabeth - glad you enjoyed the piece ... and yes, I'd be honored to be on your blog roll!
DFTP - I am really touched by your words. thank you. i like the idea of the flame being passed on ...
This blog is such a call to creativity and honesty for me ... I really appreciate all of your words. (and those of you who also email me privately too!)
Post a Comment