Monday, May 5, 2008

Planting Season

meetings multi-tasking and deadlines
a knock on the door
_____ every twenty minutes
each task generating
_____ six more

urgent phone calls
crisis and decisions
trying to be
human in it all
efficient, effective compassion
.
.
.
take a step back
a plethora of options
teaching volunteering resting travelling
overseas south remote away
escape leave chase pursue
.
.
.
conscious that
every choice
is a renunciation
maybe a thousand

I stay
to learn to be
rooted
in myself

8 comments:

human being said...

'trying to be
human in it all'

and this is what really matters... not the occupation or the job...
- - - - - -

love bears love
one seed feeding scores
be it the lavish soil of a field
or the dry land of a desert
love just bears love

michael.offworld said...

I'm going to print this off and take it with me to work this morning. Something good to strive for.

M

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, sister !
Delilah Rose

Anonymous said...

Run rabbit run
There is so
Very much to do

But what of that?
For you are human
In it all

Renunciations aside
This you choose:

To be
Human

Chase, leave, persue
Escape

You
Yourself
Will prevail

To learn to be
rooted
In yourself

Will keep you well
Well indeed
And human

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

A beautiful poem - made me think about how hard it is to find time for yourself these days and, bizarely, about Samuel Taylor-Coleridge, who was famously interrupted from writing his epic Kubli Khan by an unwanted visitor.

I think my message is to remember that you have to find time to do the things you love.

Anonymous said...

You captured the busy, frantic feeling of your job well.

In the 15th line, I believe the word is "escape".

Lynn Cohen said...

I appreciate all your comments on my blogs Honor. Thank you.
I also just realized you live in Edmonton and I know someone who lives there. Wonder if you know them too? Small town?
;-) email me at lyn_fred1@comcast.net and I'll send you the name, just to see. Fun.

Roxanne said...

HB and Bobb - mmmm..... always encouraging, always creative ... thanks for sharing your poetic words ...i'm blessed to have you both as consistent visitors!

Michael - your comment made my week. I couldn't ask for a greater gift for sharing my creativity - if just one person finds something in my words, then I am happy.

Delilah - enjoy your time overseas :)

DFTP - wise words. most people spend time doing things they "think" they should love, not what they really love!

Clandestine - thanks for the editorial eye :) fixed!

Lynn - will be in touch .... Edmonton is a big "small town"