Thursday, May 29, 2008

For my Fellow Austen-philes

What is it about Jane Austen that speaks to women over one hundred years later and across the world??

Every time I watch or read Pride and Prejudice, it never fails. Elizabeth Bennett utters some words that meant nothing to me before. Then all of a sudden, I have to lean back, take in a breath, and say “How did I miss that truth before?”

I find it both reassuring and disturbing that these characters speak to me. Disturbed that I can relate to a character whose context is a society where women needed dowries to get married and weren’t allowed to earn their own livelihoods. Reassured that the perplexities and dilemmas that I face are not mine alone. That women have faced them for generations and there must be an enlightened circle of women that can bestow their wisdom on me.

Recently, I watched BBC’s latest rendition of Sense and Sensibility, swept up blissfully in Marianne’s and Elinor’s story of love and loss.

Marianne – who shares her emotions openly – loves without abandon. But, when her heart gets broken, she suffers with just as much passion in public. She makes no excuse for who she is or how she feels, despite the discomfort she causes others with her honesty. It is tortuous to read what Marianne goes through, because she feels fully, without reserve, without holding back. There is a bravery in being so untempered.

But Elinor strikes at a reader’s heart too. She is subject to just as much betrayal and heartbreak, but suffers in silence. In an effort to be true to her sense of fairness for the one she loves, she keeps her heartache to herself. She doesn’t deny what she feels, but she accepts there is nothing to be done. No words of sympathy or tears will do anything for her pain. She just bears it. This type of stoicity and strength, even amidst one’s own loss, fills me with awe.

Over the years, I have alternately identified with these women, sometimes sympathizing with Marianne, other times with Elinor. Watching the latest film version, I was surprised to recognize myself fully in Marianne, only to find later in the week, that I had changed my mind and affirmed, that indeed I was more like Elinor. My opinion of who is braver alternates as does which of them felt things deeper. Then, I realize it didn’t matter. They are both real to me.

That is Jane Austen’s secret perhaps. She realizes that a woman’s soul is not so easily captured. It’s changing. Waxing and waning. Complex. A woman can be Marianne and Elinor. Elizabeth, Emma and Anne. All in one.

Which leads to another gift of Ms. Austen’s. We don’t have to be perfect heroines. We can be well-intentioned but foolish like Emma; judgemental but honest about our own limitations like Elizabeth and vulnerable in a way we can regret for many years – by letting ourselves be persuaded by others’ opinions rather than our own heart – like Anne.

Jane Austen reminds us that despite our mistakes, errors in judgement, and prejudice, we can still have – and deserve – happy endings.

And, after all these years of my mistakes, errors in judgement, and pride … I find that comforting.

16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I adore Jane Austen too.
I first read her as a teen - when I just wanted to find out who got married to whom - but now I read them for their sly humor.
How wonderfully well she portrays human frailties, foibles and pretentions.
Emma's father, Mrs.Bennet etc

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

A couple of years ago (OK, nearly 10) i did a bit of amateur acting (even more "luvvy" than real actors) and appeared in Mansfield Park (one of Austen's less known) in the small role of Mr Yates, the actor who comes to the house and starts all the trouble by inadvertantly starting all the affairs. More recently I saw the TV adaptation starring Billie Piper as Fanny Price (famous english actress and former pop-star), only to find that they'd cut Mr Yates out entirely!!!

The styles and conventions of some of Austen, the Bronte's and Dickens may be out of date - but its their understanding of human nature that keeps us reading all these years on

delhidreams said...

when a character comes out as more 'human', more 'us' than normal, we instinctively start liking her or him...i like both darcy and elizabeth, cos i've both in me...
hi, i am adi, and m coming here through 'human' and 'bob'.
god bless.

human being said...

i've always loved your reflections on various subjects... this time characters of a story...

yes we have them all in us... and such stories talking of human traits never get old or out-of-date...

thanks for sharing your thoughts with us...very inspiring...

thanks also Roxanne for your kind and warm words on my blog... they really lifted my spirit...

sukipoet said...

Well written and insightful. As others have said, human nature is more or less the same even when social mores are different and changing. We all desire love and happiness. Jane Austen was a genius of an uncommon nature. Thanks for reflecting about her so beautifully. And as for her wit and wisdom, I do think it takes many readings or watchings to catch all she is saying. The mark of a writer of depth.

human being said...

"She realizes that a woman’s soul is not so easily captured. It’s changing. Waxing and waning. Complex. A woman can be Marianne and Elinor. Elizabeth, Emma and Anne. All in one."

waxing and waning
changing
complex
at times even perplexed
all in one
one...
always on the move
learning to improve

there are lots of new things waiting to be read... yet sometimes we prefer to re-read some pieces we love ... that's why i'm here again reading you, Roxanne.

Anne-Marie said...

I think Austen's stories appeal because, although our lives are more complex than they were back then, women still want the happy ever after. Whether you're a scientist, a journalist, a student, what ever you are, you still want to find Mr Right [or a close approximation thereof!].

I like Lizzy Bennet but I have to say I've never been a fan of Mr Darcy, Colin Firth notwithstanding. My favourite Austen hero is Captain Wentworth. He's adorable.

I've just arrived at your blog through People Reading, and I'm really enjoying it :-)

CaBaCuRl said...

I have just stumbled upon your blog, and what a wonderful and thoughtful discovery. Not just in your blog post but also in the considered comments left by others. Our ABC (Australian Broadcasting Comm.) is just embarking on a winter season of the BBC's most recent adaptations of Austen's novels...they opened with "Emma" last night. What excellent timing!

Lydia said...

Do you know what, Honour? This is as great a book review as any at the New York Times! Know what else? You put me to shame because I've never read Austen. I just never thought her books would appeal to me, too girly I thought. Then last year I rented the DVD of P&P and was swept away and intended to read it and others by Jane Austen. In the meantime I've read many books but still not hers. Now she is DEFINITELY on my list.

And isn't Human Being's poem a wonder!

Lydia said...

Me again with a postscript. Might you consider adding the little envelope near the comments link so that we readers can email your posts to our friends/family? My sister would love this post.

Lydia said...

Honour,
It's been hours since my other comments and I just came upon this and thought of you immediately!
http://www.beliefnet.com/gallery/spiritualjaneaustenplaces.html

delhidreams said...

in India, its natural for us to eat food with fingers, its a born talent we possess
:)

Anonymous said...

I really have not read these
Since High School
But if the words please you
I will put my smile
Behind them

Roxanne said...

Hello Everyone! What a myriad of comments. As many of you commented, it is indeed Ms. Austen's ability to truly catch human nature that makes her, in Suki's words, a genius.

elizabeth - "sly humor" is a wonderful descriptor! I also first read her as a teen.

DFTP - oh, it must have been fun to do a Jane Austen play, especially Mansfield Park ... with that comic part about the nature of getting caught up in drama

Adi - welcome :) i love your poetry and enjoyed your blog. In Philippines, we also eat with our hands (natural born talent too!). And my parents taught it to me, even though I am Canadian born ...

HB - I am glad that my words can lift your spirit, for in many ways - you always lift mine. Even when the words are for others and not me ... I just bask in their sunshine.

Suki - I love the way you capture Jane Austen's talents. That is it - isn't it? Not many can be BOTH witty and wise.

Roxanne said...

Anne-Marie - thrilled you stopped by ... I also favor Captain Wentworth. Persuasion is one of my favorite novels out of the whole bunch. I heard the other day that Jane's brother was a sailor, and that's why she portrays them in such a good light.

Cabacurl - welcome! I hope you are enjoying "Emma" over there ...

Lydia - thank you SO much for your kind words. Yes - I will add a little envelope - I never even thought about it! And, for the link - I dropped by and found it fascinating. I'm going to explore it in depth later this week!

Bobbb - I am smiling back :)

human being said...

thanks Roxanne...
i'm blushed...
:)
dearest Lydia
what i wrote is not a wonder
coz it came to me
through wonderful words of Honour
:)
love to you