Thursday, May 1, 2008

Branding Myself

This is the Year of the Rat.

A friend of mine pointed out that the Year of the Rat comes once every twelve years. And if you’re going to make big changes in your life – especially new beginnings – this is the year to do it.

Coincidentally, in a couple of months, I will be launching into self-employment. The plan is to work from home – control my own workload (which is nearly impossible in the non-profit sector) – and consciously create more space for writing.

In my working world, I have created a reputation for myself as a bit of a drifter. At Christmas parties, I am often greeted with “How are you? What job are you in now?” In an effort to show that I am serious about my new venture, I met with a graphic designer who will be creating my logo. And, my brand. Not that I fully understand the difference, but apparently there is one.

We sat for nearly 90 minutes. He asked many questions. I attempted to answer them.

- What will make your business different?
- How do you want people to feel after working with you?
- What are your values in your work?

He goes away and creates a logo with different shapes, colors and fonts based on what he heard.

I am fascinated by this process.

How do I portray myself?
And does this match how I see myself?
Or does this all just depend on if the graphic designer and I have the same definition of the words “grassroots” , “health promotion" and "social justice"?

Will the logo have earthy tones? Vibrant colors? Shapes of trees and leaves or maybe a globe? I know he won’t come back with a hummer or a dollar sign …but what?

And what if we, as individual persons, had to meet with a graphic designer to create a brand for us as people? It would be interesting, wouldn’t it?

Because it is a small business – to be built mostly on reputation – I told him I wanted the logo to represent more of who I am … not what I do. I really have no plans to grow. The goal is to make enough money to survive so that I have time to create.

In the end, I gave him my blog address. I picked these pictures, these colors, these quotes. This blog is a good representation of how I see myself.

Or, at least, how I want to be seen.

Or, maybe ... a fine balance of both.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Gosh - this seems quite a project.
I wonder how it will be interpreted?
Yes, I think how we present ourselves is very important.
Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Hi Roxy - this process was one of my favourite parts of incorporating my own consulting business! Have fun with it and don't be shy about sending the drafts back until you're perfectly "at home" with your branding. Once you've narrowed down your favourite 2-3 logos, I found it helpful to send drafts around to those who know me best to get their opinion. In the end, I'm really happy with my logo - it's personal, not fussy and a bit abstract. have fun with it roxy!

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Some people, like the Bhuddists, believe that if you want to know who you are then you have to look inside, explore who you are there. Others will argue that you need to ask those around you to find out who you are. I think the truth is somewhere inbetween.

If the logo says something about you then it may (hopefully) attract customers with a similar background, leading to longer working relations than someone just looking for a product.

Best of luck - be prepared for some long hours, but if you love what you are doing and are happy it will pay off eventually

Anonymous said...

As for me - I am my brand
So to speak

I haven't a clue how a graphic designer would try to depict who I am...

But as for "self discovery" I believe that can only come from within
It can be a dangerous journey, but what worthwhile endeavor is without risk?
I looked to the river and the trees and yes even the mountains for guidance
The eagle helped me
And so did my ancestors

I can find out how others perceive me
But do they know me?
CAN they know me, if I do not know myself?
CAN they know me, if they don't know themselves?
Most people I know are so mired in pretense and self significance, that they can never really know anything (except perhaps how to sell cars, or life insurance, or other work related activities)

But you Honor
You put it out there
Your honesty and courage are refreshing
And I am drawn to you for this reason
Now a good artist - graphic or otherwise will pick up on that
And that is what will come through in the logo, I would think
I hope so!

My best wishes for success go with you

Anonymous said...

Grassroots, social justice and health promotion? Could be my jaded mind, but it feels a bit political/socialist to me. But then I guess, I've just projected my perspective on those terms.

Based on those terms, I'm not really sure my logo would be friendly and inviting. It'd probably be something revolutionary and would hint at some violence or destruction in some sort of way. To be honest. Good luck with your business.

Hey, what were you giving a speech on in your picture?

sukipoet said...

Hi Honor. Is your real name Roxy?? Interesting thing you are doing here. Good luck with your new buisness. I'd I'd be fascinated to see what logo he comes up with. Those questions sound like quiestions my friend who is a personal coach asks when I consult with her about trying to figure out a knot in my life.

Anyway hope you do have lots more time to write. You're very good.

Roxanne said...

Indeed, Elizabeth I'll keep you posted.

Lynn in another spot had asked about my business. I write proposals, needs assessments and evaluations for community based projects. As Clandestine said, it does indeed reek of revolutionaries and socialism! :) But instead of maybe a fist just breaking down unjust societal structures, the fist can be holding a flower or something.

DFTP, you are right - I never thought about how this might attract customers with similar sensibilities ... and Sani - I will have to get your input. Who would know me better than an old roomie?

Bobbb - such food for thought. I'd like to meet your ancestors. I've always believed that others can't know me, unless I know myself .... but I never thought about if the "other" knows themselves. I think that is indeed key. Thank you for your kind words. I don't always feel brave ... but I'll keep these words onhand when I'm feeling doubtful :)

Clandestine - I was actually telling a story in the picture - at a local event we have here called "Story Slam" for writers.

And dear suki - my real name is Roxanne. My father read "Cyrano de Bergerac" in school, and Cyrano is always going on about the heroine, Roxanne. Hence, when he got to name the second daughter (me) that's what he chose. But, my friends all call me different things - Rox, Roxy - I answer to them all :) thanks for the encouragement!

human being said...

So happy about your new venture, Roxanne(now that you use it on your blog i call you by that name... told you how i love this name... we have it in Iran, too...)
yes i'm happy especially because you want to spend more time on your writing...
you are a VERY creative writer and sure you can make a difference through it... you have already started it...
having a logo can have a kind of effect as to concentrate energy...

wish for the best result for the logo and your new endeavor...

P.S.
1)as i was reading your post, some abstract forms came to my mind... the two significant ones were a circle and another one some wavy lines representing wind....

2)Bobbb is right...

they CANNOT know me, if i do not know myself...
they CANNOT know me, if they don't know themselves...

also:
they CANNOT know me, if i don't know them...

i have experienced all these in my life...

A VERY THOUGHT-PROVOKING POST...
namaste!

soul in progress said...

Hi Rox,
I am glad the universe told me to put you and Adam together for this project. He definitely has a deeper perspective into branding than I do. I think it will be a great collaboration with a fruitful result. I admire your courage to venture into controlling your own work destiny and your time to create. Best of luck with everything.
By the way, I love the colors of your blog (red & orange), exactly what I would choose...still cut from the same cloth ;) I think a red/orange logo would show your vibrancy and love of everything global.
Take care,
sledgey

Roxanne said...

And here I thought this topic wasn't interesting enough for a blog!

HB, I suspected that there would be many Roxanne's in Iran, as my name is Persian in origin, is it not? Meaning "dawn" I think ... I'm going to pass on your images to Adam, thank you for sharing and for your well wishes... And I never thought of my logo as a focus for energy - maybe even a point of meditation. Brilliant!

Sledgey - I am glad to hear that someone who has known me as long as you sees the true me in these blog images and colours. Lucky for me you listen to the universe :)

human being said...

in Iran it is pronounced /roksaanaa/ which is itself the Greek variation of the Persian name Roshanak meaning full of light

- it is not a common name here and this makes it more beautiful... cuz you don't hear it all the time...

- happy you found my mental images interesting...

- yes... start your meditation and concentrating your creative energy by the help of your logo...
:)